Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:32 PM
  • National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

An act of vandalism that targeted the National Holocaust Monument in Ottawa was an antisemitic attack, the co-chair of the monument committee said Monday.

The words "FEED ME" were found scrawled in red paint across the face of the monument Monday morning. Red paint was splashed on other portions of the monument as well.

Crews covered parts of the monument in black plastic as they worked to remove the paint.

"My father is a Holocaust survivor. His sister and his mother and father were all killed. My daughter is named after his sister," said Lawrence Greenspon, co-chair of the monument committee.

"When somebody defaces the National Holocaust Monument, it is personal and it hurts, and particularly when it is such an act of hatred and antisemitism."

Deborah Lyons, Canada's special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating antisemitism, said she was "crushed" when she saw that the monument had been vandalized.

She said that this was an antisemitic hate crime targeting Jews who have no connection to the Israeli government or its policies in Gaza.

"This is not a way to address the concerns that people have, either about what's happening in the Middle East or certainly about what's happened in our own country with the high spike of antisemitism," Lyons said.

The Ottawa Police Service said its hate and bias crime unit is leading the investigation.

When asked whether the vandalism is being investigated as a hate crime, a spokeswoman for city police said that updates will be shared when available.

Ottawa police investigated a January 2020 vandalism incident at the monument as a hate crime.

Police released photos of a suspect in that incident who allegedly threw eggs at the monument, which is dedicated to the more than six million Jews killed in the Holocaust.

In a social media post Monday, Prime Minister Mark Carney said he was "appalled" by the vandalism.

"This is a monument that commemorates the six million Jewish lives murdered during the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazi Germany. It is a space for mourning and remembrance," Carney said in the post.

Greenspon called on world leaders to go beyond "bland and banal" condemnations and take action against antisemitism. He also said government leaders should "stop blaming Israel for the current conflict in the Middle East" — a clear shot at Carney.

"Every time that a leader, including our own prime minister, stands with the leaders of France and Britain and condemns Israel for the situation in Gaza, it just feeds the fuels of antisemitism," Greenspon said.

He was referring to a May 19 letter Carney co-signed with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron. In it, the three leaders condemned the expansion of Israeli military operations in Gaza and called the level of suffering in the territory "intolerable."

The letter called for the Israeli government to let more food and aid into Gaza and to end military operations there, and for Hamas to release its remaining hostages. The three leaders said they would take "concrete actions" if Israel did not comply.

Shortly after, the British government imposed sanctions on what it called a "West Bank violence network."

Canada and France have threatened targeted sanctions related to attempts to expand Israeli settlements in the West Bank but have not yet followed through.

Lyons said the government has taken steps to address antisemitism and cited Carney's support for "bubble legislation" to restrict protest activities outside sensitive spaces like places of worship and schools.

"This is an effort that requires all Canadians to be engaged in fighting, I think, one of the strongest hatreds that we have ever seen Canada have to address. And if we fail at this, then we will fail at others in the future," Lyons said.

"What's happening in the Middle East has to be dealt with by people there and by the international community, but it does not help to destroy property or intimidate and harass and terrify Canadians back here at home."

Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman called the vandalism at the memorial a "disgusting and cowardly act."

"Parliament is just steps away — that’s where dissent belongs. Defacing sacred ground in honour of the millions of victims of the Holocaust in the middle of the night with spray paint isn’t protest, it’s vandalism," she said on social media.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'
The Xatśull First Nation says it is "disappointed" that British Columbia's Mines Ministry has granted an operating permit for the Cariboo Gold Mine without meeting its leadership or obtaining the nation's consent. The mine is on the nation's territory in central B.C. and it issued a statement earlier this month calling for the project to be halted until the nation had given its consent.

First Nation considers legal options as B.C. approves mining permit 'without consent'

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark
BC Hydro is warning customers in remote areas of Vancouver Island that they may be without power until late Saturday, as winds from another powerful storm hit the coast. The latest in a series of fall storms has brought gusts up to 100 km/h but Environment Canada says it isn't as strong as the bomb cyclone that knocked out power to more than 300,000 properties this week.

New B.C. storm brings 100 km/h winds with some Vancouver Island homes still in dark

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family
Jurors began deliberations Friday in the trial of two men accused of human smuggling across the Canada-U.S. border between Manitoba and Minnesota. They are tasked with deciding whether to convict or acquit Steve Shand and Harshkumar Patel on four charges.

Jury deliberations begin in trial of human smuggling, frozen migrant family

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week
Canada Post saw hundreds of millions of dollars drain out of its coffers last quarter, due largely to its dwindling share of the parcels market — while an ongoing strike continues to batter its bottom line. The Crown corporation said Friday it lost $315 million before tax in the third quarter, larger than its $290 million loss a year earlier.

Canada Post losses top $300M as strike enters second week

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease
A new case of chronic wasting disease, an incurable illness that has the potential to decimate deer populations, has been identified in British Columbia. The B.C. Ministry of Water, Land and Resource Stewardship said the discovery of the infection in a white-tailed deer hunted in the Kootenay region last month brought the total number of confirmed cases in the province to three, after two cases were confirmed in February. 

3rd deer infected with chronic wasting disease

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?
A new storm system is bearing down on British Columbia and is expected to bring another blast of potentially damaging winds, as the province continues to clean up from this week's powerful bomb cyclone. Environment Canada has issued a fresh round of special weather statements ahead of the storm's expected arrival on Friday, covering Vancouver Island, the Sunshine and Central coasts, and Howe Sound where winds up to 90 km/h are forecast.

Next storm looms as B.C. cleans up from bomb cyclone. What's behind the foul weather?