Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Jun, 2025 01:32 PM
  • National Holocaust Monument vandalized with 'FEED ME' written in red paint

An act of vandalism that targeted the National Holocaust Monument in Ottawa was an antisemitic attack, the co-chair of the monument committee said Monday.

The words "FEED ME" were found scrawled in red paint across the face of the monument Monday morning. Red paint was splashed on other portions of the monument as well.

Crews covered parts of the monument in black plastic as they worked to remove the paint.

"My father is a Holocaust survivor. His sister and his mother and father were all killed. My daughter is named after his sister," said Lawrence Greenspon, co-chair of the monument committee.

"When somebody defaces the National Holocaust Monument, it is personal and it hurts, and particularly when it is such an act of hatred and antisemitism."

Deborah Lyons, Canada's special envoy on preserving Holocaust remembrance and combating antisemitism, said she was "crushed" when she saw that the monument had been vandalized.

She said that this was an antisemitic hate crime targeting Jews who have no connection to the Israeli government or its policies in Gaza.

"This is not a way to address the concerns that people have, either about what's happening in the Middle East or certainly about what's happened in our own country with the high spike of antisemitism," Lyons said.

The Ottawa Police Service said its hate and bias crime unit is leading the investigation.

When asked whether the vandalism is being investigated as a hate crime, a spokeswoman for city police said that updates will be shared when available.

Ottawa police investigated a January 2020 vandalism incident at the monument as a hate crime.

Police released photos of a suspect in that incident who allegedly threw eggs at the monument, which is dedicated to the more than six million Jews killed in the Holocaust.

In a social media post Monday, Prime Minister Mark Carney said he was "appalled" by the vandalism.

"This is a monument that commemorates the six million Jewish lives murdered during the Holocaust, and the millions of other victims of Nazi Germany. It is a space for mourning and remembrance," Carney said in the post.

Greenspon called on world leaders to go beyond "bland and banal" condemnations and take action against antisemitism. He also said government leaders should "stop blaming Israel for the current conflict in the Middle East" — a clear shot at Carney.

"Every time that a leader, including our own prime minister, stands with the leaders of France and Britain and condemns Israel for the situation in Gaza, it just feeds the fuels of antisemitism," Greenspon said.

He was referring to a May 19 letter Carney co-signed with British Prime Minister Keir Starmer and French President Emmanuel Macron. In it, the three leaders condemned the expansion of Israeli military operations in Gaza and called the level of suffering in the territory "intolerable."

The letter called for the Israeli government to let more food and aid into Gaza and to end military operations there, and for Hamas to release its remaining hostages. The three leaders said they would take "concrete actions" if Israel did not comply.

Shortly after, the British government imposed sanctions on what it called a "West Bank violence network."

Canada and France have threatened targeted sanctions related to attempts to expand Israeli settlements in the West Bank but have not yet followed through.

Lyons said the government has taken steps to address antisemitism and cited Carney's support for "bubble legislation" to restrict protest activities outside sensitive spaces like places of worship and schools.

"This is an effort that requires all Canadians to be engaged in fighting, I think, one of the strongest hatreds that we have ever seen Canada have to address. And if we fail at this, then we will fail at others in the future," Lyons said.

"What's happening in the Middle East has to be dealt with by people there and by the international community, but it does not help to destroy property or intimidate and harass and terrify Canadians back here at home."

Conservative deputy leader Melissa Lantsman called the vandalism at the memorial a "disgusting and cowardly act."

"Parliament is just steps away — that’s where dissent belongs. Defacing sacred ground in honour of the millions of victims of the Holocaust in the middle of the night with spray paint isn’t protest, it’s vandalism," she said on social media.

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Sean Kilpatrick

MORE National ARTICLES

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person
A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member
B.C. Conservative Leader John Rustad has assigned jobs to 41 of his 44-member caucus, including giving a critic's position to MLA Brent Chapman, who faced calls to step down during the campaign over controversial social media remarks. Several groups called on Rustad during last month's election to remove Chapman as his party's candidate over the posts, including one in which he called Palestinian children "inbred walking, talking, breathing time bombs."

B.C. Conservative leader names shadow cabinet, gives job to controversial member

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager
Former prime minister Stephen Harper is the new chairman of the Alberta Investment Management Corp., which oversees more than $160 billion in funds, including pension funds and the Heritage Savings Trust Fund. The move comes almost two weeks after the province's finance minister fired the Crown agency's entire board, along with a number of executives, citing ballooning costs and substandard returns.

Former PM Stephen Harper appointed to oversee Alberta's $160B AIMCo fund manager

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad
British Columbia Conservative Leader John Rustad says Premier David Eby's new cabinet appears to be a taxpayer-funded loyalty program that rewards NDP caucus. Eby introduced his new cabinet this week, which includes 23 ministers, four ministers of state and 14 parliamentary secretaries. 

Eby's NDP cabinet 'bloated, expensive,' says B.C. Conservative leader John Rustad

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP
Mounties in Surrey say a year-long investigation has led to one of the largest drug seizures in the detachment's history and will "disrupt" the drug trade in the city. RCMP say they launched an investigation in June 2023 into a criminal group alleged to be involved in trafficking "high-potency" drugs and illicit firearms in the Lower Mainland. 

Investigation led to huge drug bust, which will disrupt Surrey drug trade, says RCMP

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry
Spencer Chandra Herbert, minister of tourism, arts, culture and sport, says in a statement that they want to bring the "biggest productions" to the province, allowing talent in B.C. to continue with work that comes "with a good pay cheque."

B.C. government delegation jets to California to promote the province's film industry