Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Sep, 2024 10:22 AM
  • NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. 

In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

"Canadians are fighting a battle.  A battle for the future of the middle class.  Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed," Singh said in the video directly addressing Canadians. 

"The Liberals have let people down. They don’t deserve another chance from Canadians."

Singh and Trudeau reached the agreement in March 2022, committing the Liberals to implement several NDP priorities such as dental care and pharmacare, in exchange for the NDP caucus supporting the Liberals on key votes like budgets.

The NDP had been re-evaluating the deal since Aug. 22, the day Labour Minister Steve MacKinnon asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose binding arbitration to end a work stoppage at Canadian Pacific Kansas City and Canadian National Railway that paralyzed Canada's transportation networks.

The request came just 24 hours after the two companies locked out their workers after failing to reach a contract deal at the bargaining table.

This week Singh called the government's decision to intervene "a line in the sand that was crossed."

NDP's labour critic Matthew Green told The Canadian Press earlier this week that as Canada's only labour party the NDP has a responsibility to take "bold steps" to ensure there's support for workers and their families, and others who are "struggling in this economy."

The decision doesn't mean the government automatically falls at the next confidence vote. Rather, the NDP will determine how to vote on Liberal legislation on a case-by-case basis.

Singh said there is another "bigger battle ahead," noting the threat of cuts from the Conservatives under their leader Pierre Poilievre if the party wins the next election.

"The fact is, the Liberals are too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interests to fight for people. They cannot be change, they cannot restore the hope, they cannot stop the Conservatives," he said.

"But we can."

He said his party will deliver hope and relief, fix health care, build homes and stop price gouging.

Many of the affordability measures the Liberals have brought in over recent years, including dental-care benefits, one-time rental supplements for low-income tenants and a temporary doubling of the GST rebate, were NDP priorities. Some came about exclusively as a result of the deal.

New Democrats also used the deal to push forward a ban on replacement workers during a strike or lockout at federally regulated workplaces.

The two parties also negotiated a housing accelerator fund that allocated billions of dollars to help build more than 750,000 homes across Canada.

House Leader Karina Gould said Aug. 26 that she expected the deal to run until its end, which was to be June 2025. Her office reiterated those remarks Tuesday, after Green's interview.

Poilievre held a press conference calling for Singh to break the deal. He blamed him for selling out workers by signing onto a "costly coalition" that he says puts Singh and Trudeau ahead of Canadians. 

National opinion polls suggest Poilievre's stance on workers rights and the economy is resonating with Canadians. He continues to hold a substantial lead in polls ahead of Liberals and New Democrats. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Revealing allegations on Nijjar death meant to 'put a chill' on India, Trudeau says

Revealing allegations on Nijjar death meant to 'put a chill' on India, Trudeau says
The allegations worsened already strained relations between the Liberal government and that of India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi, which has continued to deny any connection to the killing. In the interview, Trudeau said his public statement came after weeks of "quiet diplomacy" that included raising the allegations with India at the highest levels.

Revealing allegations on Nijjar death meant to 'put a chill' on India, Trudeau says

Liberal caucus meets after Canada votes for Israel-Hamas ceasefire at United Nations

Liberal caucus meets after Canada votes for Israel-Hamas ceasefire at United Nations
Liberal MPs gathered Wednesday for what was expected to be their final caucus meeting of the year, a day after Canada shifted its stance to join international calls for an immediate ceasefire between Israel and Hamas. The decision came amid conflict within Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's Liberal caucus over how to respond to the latest eruption in violence, which was triggered when Hamas militants launched their brazen Oct. 7 attack on Israel.   

Liberal caucus meets after Canada votes for Israel-Hamas ceasefire at United Nations

Truck driver gets 15 years in prison, flees to India

Truck driver gets 15 years in prison, flees to India
Police are seeking an Interpol Red Notice on a Surrey truck driver sentenced to serve 15 years in jail for cocaine smuggling who escaped to India last year. B-C R-C-M-P say a Canada-wide warrant has also been issued for Raj Kumar Mehmi, who was sentenced in absentia in November for smuggling 80 kilograms of cocaine across the Pacific Highway crossing from the U-S.

Truck driver gets 15 years in prison, flees to India

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital
Police in Surrey are investigating a shooting early this morning that has sent one man to hospital. Surrey Mounties say they received a report of shots fired at a vehicle just before 2 a-m at the intersection of 64th Avenue and 124th Street.

Surrey shooting lands 1 in hospital

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh
On November 25th Pawandeep Singh, 27, was reported missing to police. He was last seen on November 5, 2023 in the 8400-block of 171A Street. His last contact with a family member by phone was on November 20, 2023. Family and friends have not been able to make any contact with him since and are concerned for his wellbeing. Despite ongoing efforts, he has not been located.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in locating missing male Pawandeep Singh

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites
A 17-year-old Calgarian who was arrested as part of a national security investigation is to be prohibited from accessing social media and required to participate in an intervention plan that addresses ideological extremism.  The teen, who cannot be named under the Youth Criminal Justice Act, was arrested in June and was subject to a section of the Criminal Code that allows for a peace bond if there's fear the person may commit a terrorism offence.  

Calgary teen arrested in terrorism investigation to stay off social media sites