Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Sep, 2024 10:22 AM
  • NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. 

In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

"Canadians are fighting a battle.  A battle for the future of the middle class.  Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed," Singh said in the video directly addressing Canadians. 

"The Liberals have let people down. They don’t deserve another chance from Canadians."

Singh and Trudeau reached the agreement in March 2022, committing the Liberals to implement several NDP priorities such as dental care and pharmacare, in exchange for the NDP caucus supporting the Liberals on key votes like budgets.

The NDP had been re-evaluating the deal since Aug. 22, the day Labour Minister Steve MacKinnon asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose binding arbitration to end a work stoppage at Canadian Pacific Kansas City and Canadian National Railway that paralyzed Canada's transportation networks.

The request came just 24 hours after the two companies locked out their workers after failing to reach a contract deal at the bargaining table.

This week Singh called the government's decision to intervene "a line in the sand that was crossed."

NDP's labour critic Matthew Green told The Canadian Press earlier this week that as Canada's only labour party the NDP has a responsibility to take "bold steps" to ensure there's support for workers and their families, and others who are "struggling in this economy."

The decision doesn't mean the government automatically falls at the next confidence vote. Rather, the NDP will determine how to vote on Liberal legislation on a case-by-case basis.

Singh said there is another "bigger battle ahead," noting the threat of cuts from the Conservatives under their leader Pierre Poilievre if the party wins the next election.

"The fact is, the Liberals are too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interests to fight for people. They cannot be change, they cannot restore the hope, they cannot stop the Conservatives," he said.

"But we can."

He said his party will deliver hope and relief, fix health care, build homes and stop price gouging.

Many of the affordability measures the Liberals have brought in over recent years, including dental-care benefits, one-time rental supplements for low-income tenants and a temporary doubling of the GST rebate, were NDP priorities. Some came about exclusively as a result of the deal.

New Democrats also used the deal to push forward a ban on replacement workers during a strike or lockout at federally regulated workplaces.

The two parties also negotiated a housing accelerator fund that allocated billions of dollars to help build more than 750,000 homes across Canada.

House Leader Karina Gould said Aug. 26 that she expected the deal to run until its end, which was to be June 2025. Her office reiterated those remarks Tuesday, after Green's interview.

Poilievre held a press conference calling for Singh to break the deal. He blamed him for selling out workers by signing onto a "costly coalition" that he says puts Singh and Trudeau ahead of Canadians. 

National opinion polls suggest Poilievre's stance on workers rights and the economy is resonating with Canadians. He continues to hold a substantial lead in polls ahead of Liberals and New Democrats. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer
A lawyer for Ibrahim Ali in his first-degree murder trial says police told him a person close to the proceeding brought a handgun into the Vancouver courtroom on Friday with "intent to kill." Kevin McCullough says police told him the Glock firearm was loaded.

Police say person took loaded gun into Ibrahim Ali murder trial: lawyer

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD
Vancouver's Police Department says its officer will start using body-worn cameras in a six-month pilot project.  The department says in a statement that it believes the cameras will strengthen public safety and enhance trust and accountability. 

Officers to wear body cameras: VPD

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey
Police in Surrey say they are investigating a suspicious death. R-C-M-P say officers were investigating a report of a suspicious vehicle when the body was found inside. Police say they're gathering evidence in the Newton neighbourhood where the body was found.  

IHIT investigates suspicious death in Surrey

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence
Families of murder victims in British Columbia say the 14,000 exhibits collected by RCMP during the Robert Pickton serial killer investigation could be the last chance to find out what happened to their loved ones. Mounties have applied to the court to allow them to destroy the exhibits, saying all relevant evidence has been retained and they can’t keep every piece of property indefinitely.

Advocates, victims' families oppose destroying Robert Pickton evidence

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week
The federal government hopes to avoid gumming up the works of its new dental-insurance plan by gradually phasing in enrolment over the course of the next year, Health Minister Mark Holland said Monday. Seniors over the age of 87 will be the first cohort to be able to apply to join a new federal dental-insurance plan. 

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary
Fire officials say three people are dead after a fire in a shed outside a home improvement store in Calgary. Crews responded to the fire just before 4 a.m. Monday at a Lowe's in the city's northwest. The bodies were found inside the shed after the flames were extinguished.  

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary