Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Sep, 2024 10:22 AM
  • NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. 

In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

"Canadians are fighting a battle.  A battle for the future of the middle class.  Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed," Singh said in the video directly addressing Canadians. 

"The Liberals have let people down. They don’t deserve another chance from Canadians."

Singh and Trudeau reached the agreement in March 2022, committing the Liberals to implement several NDP priorities such as dental care and pharmacare, in exchange for the NDP caucus supporting the Liberals on key votes like budgets.

The NDP had been re-evaluating the deal since Aug. 22, the day Labour Minister Steve MacKinnon asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose binding arbitration to end a work stoppage at Canadian Pacific Kansas City and Canadian National Railway that paralyzed Canada's transportation networks.

The request came just 24 hours after the two companies locked out their workers after failing to reach a contract deal at the bargaining table.

This week Singh called the government's decision to intervene "a line in the sand that was crossed."

NDP's labour critic Matthew Green told The Canadian Press earlier this week that as Canada's only labour party the NDP has a responsibility to take "bold steps" to ensure there's support for workers and their families, and others who are "struggling in this economy."

The decision doesn't mean the government automatically falls at the next confidence vote. Rather, the NDP will determine how to vote on Liberal legislation on a case-by-case basis.

Singh said there is another "bigger battle ahead," noting the threat of cuts from the Conservatives under their leader Pierre Poilievre if the party wins the next election.

"The fact is, the Liberals are too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interests to fight for people. They cannot be change, they cannot restore the hope, they cannot stop the Conservatives," he said.

"But we can."

He said his party will deliver hope and relief, fix health care, build homes and stop price gouging.

Many of the affordability measures the Liberals have brought in over recent years, including dental-care benefits, one-time rental supplements for low-income tenants and a temporary doubling of the GST rebate, were NDP priorities. Some came about exclusively as a result of the deal.

New Democrats also used the deal to push forward a ban on replacement workers during a strike or lockout at federally regulated workplaces.

The two parties also negotiated a housing accelerator fund that allocated billions of dollars to help build more than 750,000 homes across Canada.

House Leader Karina Gould said Aug. 26 that she expected the deal to run until its end, which was to be June 2025. Her office reiterated those remarks Tuesday, after Green's interview.

Poilievre held a press conference calling for Singh to break the deal. He blamed him for selling out workers by signing onto a "costly coalition" that he says puts Singh and Trudeau ahead of Canadians. 

National opinion polls suggest Poilievre's stance on workers rights and the economy is resonating with Canadians. He continues to hold a substantial lead in polls ahead of Liberals and New Democrats. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed
The oil and gas industry will have to cut emissions by more than one-third within seven years or buy offset credits under a new federal policy. A cap on emisisons from the fossil fuel sector had been promised by the Liberals since the 2021 election, but the announcement Thursday spelled out exactly how much the government will ask the industry to cut.

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on Dec. 1, when a single death had been recorded.

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November
It was a busy month for Kelowna R-C-M-P officers as they dealt with a slew of speeding drivers in November. The Mounties say they handed out 80 speeding tickets last month.  

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay
8 people are facing trafficking charges after a lengthy investigation in Courtenay. Comox Valley R-C-M-P say two units collaborated to specifically target drug traffickers in Courtenay's downtown.

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

Child luring incident in North Vancouver
Police in North Vancouver are looking for witnesses after a child reported being approached by a stranger driving a truck. The Mounties say it happened early afternoon near West 13th Street and Mahon Avenue as a 10-year-old boy was walking along the street.  

Child luring incident in North Vancouver

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses
The House of Commons heritage committee unanimously agreed on Thursday to have the president of the public broadcaster address the cuts and potential bonuses. The committee summoned Tait to appear at its first meeting in the new year following the holiday recess, but a date has yet to be set. 

CBC head Catherine Tait summoned to committee over job cuts, executive bonuses