Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 04 Sep, 2024 10:22 AM
  • NDP pulling out of supply and confidence deal with Liberals

NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh has ripped up the supply and confidence deal with the Liberals that helped keep the minority government in power. 

In a social media video posted Wednesday afternoon, NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh said he notified Prime Minister Justin Trudeau of the decision. 

"Canadians are fighting a battle.  A battle for the future of the middle class.  Justin Trudeau has proven again and again he will always cave to corporate greed," Singh said in the video directly addressing Canadians. 

"The Liberals have let people down. They don’t deserve another chance from Canadians."

Singh and Trudeau reached the agreement in March 2022, committing the Liberals to implement several NDP priorities such as dental care and pharmacare, in exchange for the NDP caucus supporting the Liberals on key votes like budgets.

The NDP had been re-evaluating the deal since Aug. 22, the day Labour Minister Steve MacKinnon asked the Canada Industrial Relations Board to impose binding arbitration to end a work stoppage at Canadian Pacific Kansas City and Canadian National Railway that paralyzed Canada's transportation networks.

The request came just 24 hours after the two companies locked out their workers after failing to reach a contract deal at the bargaining table.

This week Singh called the government's decision to intervene "a line in the sand that was crossed."

NDP's labour critic Matthew Green told The Canadian Press earlier this week that as Canada's only labour party the NDP has a responsibility to take "bold steps" to ensure there's support for workers and their families, and others who are "struggling in this economy."

The decision doesn't mean the government automatically falls at the next confidence vote. Rather, the NDP will determine how to vote on Liberal legislation on a case-by-case basis.

Singh said there is another "bigger battle ahead," noting the threat of cuts from the Conservatives under their leader Pierre Poilievre if the party wins the next election.

"The fact is, the Liberals are too weak, too selfish and too beholden to corporate interests to fight for people. They cannot be change, they cannot restore the hope, they cannot stop the Conservatives," he said.

"But we can."

He said his party will deliver hope and relief, fix health care, build homes and stop price gouging.

Many of the affordability measures the Liberals have brought in over recent years, including dental-care benefits, one-time rental supplements for low-income tenants and a temporary doubling of the GST rebate, were NDP priorities. Some came about exclusively as a result of the deal.

New Democrats also used the deal to push forward a ban on replacement workers during a strike or lockout at federally regulated workplaces.

The two parties also negotiated a housing accelerator fund that allocated billions of dollars to help build more than 750,000 homes across Canada.

House Leader Karina Gould said Aug. 26 that she expected the deal to run until its end, which was to be June 2025. Her office reiterated those remarks Tuesday, after Green's interview.

Poilievre held a press conference calling for Singh to break the deal. He blamed him for selling out workers by signing onto a "costly coalition" that he says puts Singh and Trudeau ahead of Canadians. 

National opinion polls suggest Poilievre's stance on workers rights and the economy is resonating with Canadians. He continues to hold a substantial lead in polls ahead of Liberals and New Democrats. 

MORE National ARTICLES

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC
Parts of eastern B-C are under a snowfall warning with some areas forecast to get as much as 15-centimetres today. Environment Canada says the Elk Valley area near Fernie, as well as Highway 3 between Grand Forks and Creston, may get enough snow to hamper visibility in the wake of a cold front in the region.

Snowfall warning issued for parts of Eastern BC

Shooting outside Mission Superstore

Shooting outside Mission Superstore
Mission R-C-M-P say a shooting at a supermarket parking lot has sent one man to hospital with serious injuries. Police say officers responded to a report of shots fired at around 7:30 p-m Wednesday and found a man with multiple gunshot wounds inside a parked vehicle.    

Shooting outside Mission Superstore

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP
Mounties in Langley are asking for the public’s help with dashcam footage after a woman died after a crash next to the Greater Vancouver Zoo.  R-C-M-P say the initial investigation suggests a driver of a pickup truck stopped in the northbound lane of a street, waiting to turn left.   

Woman dies in crash next to Zoo: Langley RCMP

Key legal document leaked online

Key legal document leaked online
The Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General says it is launching an investigation into how a sensitive law enforcement document was leaked on social media. A statement from the ministry says Abbotsford police and the province’s anti-gang agency have become aware of a sensitive law enforcement intelligence document being put on a social media site last month. 

Key legal document leaked online

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence
The mother of B.C. teenager Amanda Todd, who was bullied into suicide by a Dutch national, says she'll be "so angry" if a court in Amsterdam doesn't give him significant extra jail time on the basis of his Canadian conviction last year. Judges at the Amsterdam District Court said earlier today they would rule in two weeks on the conversion of the 13-year sentence for Aydin Coban, who was convicted of the extortion and harassment of Amanda.

Amanda Todd's mom urges more jail time for tormentor, as Dutch court mulls sentence

Joly condemns Hamas rapes of Israeli women after weeks of pressure

Joly condemns Hamas rapes of Israeli women after weeks of pressure
In Israel, women's organizations have been calling on the international community to speak out, and the government has recently criticized foreign governments for not doing so. Yet police in Israel are still investigating what happened two months ago, after officials prioritized identifying bodies instead of preserving evidence, according to The Associated Press.

Joly condemns Hamas rapes of Israeli women after weeks of pressure