Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Brunswick Begins Talks With Ottawa On Funds For Flood Relief And Mitigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2019 06:43 PM

    FREDERICTON — The premier of New Brunswick says he's working with the federal government to provide financial relief to homeowners affected by this year's spring flood.


    Blaine Higgs met with the federal finance minister Wednesday morning and says Bill Morneau was receptive to what's needed for flooding relief and future mitigation.


    Higgs says he knows quite a few cottages — especially around Grand Lake — have been damaged by the floodwaters, but the government's priority will be for repairs to primary dwellings.


    The premier says the amount of assistance has not been determined, but he says the government will provide advance funds to allow people to begin repairs right away.


    During last year's record flood the province provided up to $4,000 in advance funding, but Higgs says he wants to increase that to about $15,000.


    Higgs says an emphasis must be put on mitigation, including restrictions on building on flood plains, and raising some highways and roads that had to be closed.


    He said a priority would be the Trans-Canada highway where the flooding forced the closure of a section between Oromocto and Riverglade for an entire week.


    The highway reopened Wednesday.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    A Dinner Party For $10 A Guest Is Possible With Good Planning, Foodies Say

    A Dinner Party For $10 A Guest Is Possible With Good Planning, Foodies Say
    VANCOUVER — Tara Noland hosts dinner parties at her Calgary home at least once a month, plus for almost every Super Bowl and much more often over the holidays.

    A Dinner Party For $10 A Guest Is Possible With Good Planning, Foodies Say

    B.C. Proposes Stronger Security For Witnesses Testifying At Criminal Trials

    B.C. Proposes Stronger Security For Witnesses Testifying At Criminal Trials
    British Columbia is proposing changes to its witness protection program in order to strengthen security for people who could provide police with information on serious crimes.  

    B.C. Proposes Stronger Security For Witnesses Testifying At Criminal Trials

    RAVI KAHLON, NDP MLA With Taxi-Driving Dad Seeks Advice From B.C.'s Conflict Commissioner

    B.C.'s Opposition Liberals and the New Democrat member of the legislature who is accused of a conflict of interest have both asked the province's conflict commissioner to intervene in a complaint.

    RAVI KAHLON, NDP MLA With Taxi-Driving Dad Seeks Advice From B.C.'s Conflict Commissioner

    New Democrat's Taxi-Driver Dad Should Prompt Committee Resignation, Say Liberals

    British Columbia's Opposition Liberals are calling for New Democrat Ravi Kahlon to resign from an all-party committee reviewing ride hailing for the province because his dad holds a taxi licence.

    New Democrat's Taxi-Driver Dad Should Prompt Committee Resignation, Say Liberals

    Charge Recommended Against Burnaby Man Accused Of Groping Seven-Year-Old On Vancouver SkyTrain

    NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. — Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a charge of sexual interference has been recommended against a 57-year-old Burnaby man who allegedly groped and made vulgar sexual comments to a seven-year-old girl. 

    Charge Recommended Against Burnaby Man Accused Of Groping Seven-Year-Old On Vancouver SkyTrain

    Transit Police Say Man Accused Of Groping Seven-Year-Old Girl On Vancouver SkyTrain Surrenders

    NEW WESTMINSTER, B.C. — Metro Vancouver Transit Police say a man who allegedly made vulgar sexual comments to a seven-year-old girl before groping her has surrendered.

    Transit Police Say Man Accused Of Groping Seven-Year-Old Girl On Vancouver SkyTrain Surrenders