Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Brunswick Begins Talks With Ottawa On Funds For Flood Relief And Mitigation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 01 May, 2019 06:43 PM

    FREDERICTON — The premier of New Brunswick says he's working with the federal government to provide financial relief to homeowners affected by this year's spring flood.


    Blaine Higgs met with the federal finance minister Wednesday morning and says Bill Morneau was receptive to what's needed for flooding relief and future mitigation.


    Higgs says he knows quite a few cottages — especially around Grand Lake — have been damaged by the floodwaters, but the government's priority will be for repairs to primary dwellings.


    The premier says the amount of assistance has not been determined, but he says the government will provide advance funds to allow people to begin repairs right away.


    During last year's record flood the province provided up to $4,000 in advance funding, but Higgs says he wants to increase that to about $15,000.


    Higgs says an emphasis must be put on mitigation, including restrictions on building on flood plains, and raising some highways and roads that had to be closed.


    He said a priority would be the Trans-Canada highway where the flooding forced the closure of a section between Oromocto and Riverglade for an entire week.


    The highway reopened Wednesday.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Family Of Missing B.C. Cowboy Ben Tyner Makes Emotional Appeal For Information

    MERRITT, B.C. — The family of a ranch manager who went missing near Merritt, B.C., is asking for information nearly three weeks after the 32-year-old was last seen.

    Family Of Missing B.C. Cowboy Ben Tyner Makes Emotional Appeal For Information

    Quebec Education Minister Acts On Promise To Give Kids More Recess

    Quebec Education Minister Acts On Promise To Give Kids More Recess
    QUEBEC — The Coalition Avenir Quebec government is following through on an election promise guaranteed to win the hearts of the pr

    Quebec Education Minister Acts On Promise To Give Kids More Recess

    Former Gymnastics Coach Dave Brubaker Found Not Guilty Of Sex Assault

    The trial heard that the sole investigating officer was related to the complainant and made her the godmother of his child during the course of the probe. 

    Former Gymnastics Coach Dave Brubaker Found Not Guilty Of Sex Assault

    Quebec Winter Carnival Vows To Improve Parade After First Event Deemed A Flop

    The criticism on the event's Facebook page focused on lengthy delays, choice of location and a new format where spectators waited at designated stations for acts to arrive.    

    Quebec Winter Carnival Vows To Improve Parade After First Event Deemed A Flop

    Sex Offender Joseph Davis On The Loose After Leaving Vancouver Halfway House

    Violent Sex Offender With History Of Predatory Attacks Fails To Return To Vancouver Halfway House—Again

    Sex Offender Joseph Davis On The Loose After Leaving Vancouver Halfway House

    Case Of Newborn Seized In Hospital To Be Back In Court In March

    Case Of Newborn Seized In Hospital To Be Back In Court In March
    WINNIPEG — A family trying to get back a newborn who was seen in a social media video being taken away by police in a Winnipeg hospital is to be back in court in March.

    Case Of Newborn Seized In Hospital To Be Back In Court In March