Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:24 PM
  • New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says some Canadian farmers can now apply for emergency funding to protect their workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program will subsidize farms' purchases of personal protective equipment and sanitary stations and it will help to cover extra costs in cases of any COVID-19 outbreaks.

The government will cover 50 per cent of the costs under the program and 60 per cent if the farm is owned by women or youths.

"Our government will continue to support farmers and (food) processors," Bibeau said Monday.

"They are key partners in Canada sustainable economy recovery."

Farmers in Saskatchewan, Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and the Northwest Territories can apply.

Bibeau says the government will announce programs that will be managed by the other provinces in the coming weeks.

The $35-million program was announced at the end of July to help with the costs of infrastructure improvements, workstations and living quarters.

The program will be applied retroactively to cover any COVID-19-related costs between March 15 and the end of February.

Bibeau says the program can apply equally to Canadian or migrant farm workers and it will prioritize farms at the highest risk of COVID-19 outbreaks.

The number of workers and the amount of space they have in their workplaces and housing facilities will be key elements in identifying high-risk farms for COVID-19 outbreaks, Bibeau says.

Last month, the government launched a $77.5-million program to help Canadian food processors to respond to the safety needs of their workers.

Bibeau says the new program is built to support temporary foreign workers on farms too.

"We are strengthening the employer inspections regime and developing improved employer-provided living accommodation requirements for migrant workers," she said. "We care deeply about the well-being of migrant workers."

MORE National ARTICLES

Rigorous private school plans show education inequities

Rigorous private school plans show education inequities
With children in both public and private schools, Toronto mom Karuna Satov is weighing two very different back-to-school pandemic plans.

Rigorous private school plans show education inequities

Return to B.C. classrooms pushed back

Return to B.C. classrooms pushed back
British Columbia's education minister says students won't be back in classrooms on the originally planned date of Sept. 8.

Return to B.C. classrooms pushed back

Ottawa launches revised CEWS calculator

Ottawa launches revised CEWS calculator
The federal government has launched an updated calculator to help employers estimate what help they might receive from the next phase of the Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy.

Ottawa launches revised CEWS calculator

Aid to Lebanon a signal of long-term help: Gould

Aid to Lebanon a signal of long-term help: Gould
Canada's decision to increase its humanitarian aid to Lebanon recognizes the country already faced significant turmoil before last week's explosion and will need long-term support, International Development Minister Karina Gould said Tuesday.

Aid to Lebanon a signal of long-term help: Gould

Man charged with murder of doctor

Man charged with murder of doctor
RCMP say a fatal attack on a doctor at a busy walk-in clinic in central Alberta was targeted and pre-planned.

Man charged with murder of doctor

WE Charity scrutiny sufficient, PCO clerk says

WE Charity scrutiny sufficient, PCO clerk says
Canada's top public servant says federal officials did not probe WE Charity's financial situation or governance structure when doing homework on a deal with the charity to administer a pandemic student grant program.

WE Charity scrutiny sufficient, PCO clerk says