Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 05 Oct, 2020 08:24 PM
  • New program to protect farm workers from COVID-19

Agriculture Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau says some Canadian farmers can now apply for emergency funding to protect their workers during the COVID-19 pandemic.

The program will subsidize farms' purchases of personal protective equipment and sanitary stations and it will help to cover extra costs in cases of any COVID-19 outbreaks.

The government will cover 50 per cent of the costs under the program and 60 per cent if the farm is owned by women or youths.

"Our government will continue to support farmers and (food) processors," Bibeau said Monday.

"They are key partners in Canada sustainable economy recovery."

Farmers in Saskatchewan, Alberta, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Yukon and the Northwest Territories can apply.

Bibeau says the government will announce programs that will be managed by the other provinces in the coming weeks.

The $35-million program was announced at the end of July to help with the costs of infrastructure improvements, workstations and living quarters.

The program will be applied retroactively to cover any COVID-19-related costs between March 15 and the end of February.

Bibeau says the program can apply equally to Canadian or migrant farm workers and it will prioritize farms at the highest risk of COVID-19 outbreaks.

The number of workers and the amount of space they have in their workplaces and housing facilities will be key elements in identifying high-risk farms for COVID-19 outbreaks, Bibeau says.

Last month, the government launched a $77.5-million program to help Canadian food processors to respond to the safety needs of their workers.

Bibeau says the new program is built to support temporary foreign workers on farms too.

"We are strengthening the employer inspections regime and developing improved employer-provided living accommodation requirements for migrant workers," she said. "We care deeply about the well-being of migrant workers."

MORE National ARTICLES

Former N.S. teacher gets 15 years for sex assaults

Former N.S. teacher gets 15 years for sex assaults
A former Halifax-area teacher and hockey coach who sexually abused boys several decades ago was sentenced Tuesday to 15 years in prison for what the judge described as a "catalogue of depraved predation."

Former N.S. teacher gets 15 years for sex assaults

Trudeau has 'full confidence' in Morneau: PMO

Trudeau has 'full confidence' in Morneau: PMO
 Prime Minister Justin Trudeau tried Tuesday to shut down speculation that he's about to fire his finance minister, saying he has full confidence in Bill Morneau and that any reports to the contrary are false.

Trudeau has 'full confidence' in Morneau: PMO

COVID warning over Foot Locker in Vancouver

COVID warning over Foot Locker in Vancouver
The health authority in Vancouver is warning those who shopped at the Foot Locker on Robson Street to monitor for symptoms of COVID-19.

COVID warning over Foot Locker in Vancouver

BC Ferries eligible for Safe Restart funding

BC Ferries eligible for Safe Restart funding
The financially struggling BC Ferries will be eligible to receive funding through the joint federal and provincial Safe Restart Agreement.

BC Ferries eligible for Safe Restart funding

Many failures before girl's death: rights body

Many failures before girl's death: rights body
An investigation by Quebec's human rights commission into the death of a seven-year-old girl in Granby, Que., has identified failures at all stages of the clinical and legal process designed to protect her.

Many failures before girl's death: rights body

Court upholds immigration detention rules

Court upholds immigration detention rules
Canada's rules for detaining foreigners who can't be deported quickly are constitutional, the Federal Court of Appeal has found, rejecting an argument there should be time limits for detention in immigration cases like there are for criminal trials.

Court upholds immigration detention rules