Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. Introduces Law To Require Cars, Trucks Sold By 2040 Be Zero Emission

B.C. Introduces Law To Require Cars, Trucks Sold By 2040 Be Zero Emission
VICTORIA — All light-duty cars and trucks sold in British Columbia would have to be zero-emission by 2040 under legislation tabled Wednesday.

B.C. Introduces Law To Require Cars, Trucks Sold By 2040 Be Zero Emission

Man Dies After Being Chased By Police On Foot In Sechelt, B.C.

Man Dies After Being Chased By Police On Foot In Sechelt, B.C.
The RCMP say officers were escorting the man to a car on Tuesday afternoon when he allegedly fled and was found in area of thick blackberry bushes.

Man Dies After Being Chased By Police On Foot In Sechelt, B.C.

30-Yr-Old Amrendra Vijay Kumar Identified As Latest Targeted Shooting Victim In Surrey, B.C.

SURREY, B.C. — A 30-year-old man from Surrey, B.C., has been identified as the victim of the latest targeted shooting in that city.

30-Yr-Old Amrendra Vijay Kumar Identified As Latest Targeted Shooting Victim In Surrey, B.C.

Vancouver VAISAKHI Parade Taking Place On April 13, Thousands Expected To Attend

Vancouver VAISAKHI Parade Taking Place On April 13, Thousands Expected To Attend
Once again Vancouver will be host to the Vaisakhi Parade. The annual Vaisakhi Parade, takes place on April 13, 2019 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Vancouver VAISAKHI Parade Taking Place On April 13, Thousands Expected To Attend

Richmond B.C. Man Convicted Of Distracted Driving Despite Dead iPhone Battery

Richmond B.C. Man Convicted Of Distracted Driving Despite Dead iPhone Battery
The decision, delivered Monday by judicial justice Brent Adair in Richmond, says Patrick Grzelak was using his iPhone with earbuds in his ears.

Richmond B.C. Man Convicted Of Distracted Driving Despite Dead iPhone Battery

Former British Columbia Mayor To Plead Guilty: Prosecution Service

Former British Columbia Mayor To Plead Guilty: Prosecution Service
The prosecution service did not specify which charges Luke Strimbold plans to enter guilty pleas on, but it says in an emailed statement that his lawyer told a court earlier this week that Strimbold intended to enter guilty pleas at his next appearance on May 6 in Smithers.  

Former British Columbia Mayor To Plead Guilty: Prosecution Service