Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Wilson-Raybould Urges Restraint After Supportive Graffiti At Constituency Office

Vancouver police have arrested a 37-year-old man for allegedly using several cans of spray paint to express support for former federal attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould.

Wilson-Raybould Urges Restraint After Supportive Graffiti At Constituency Office

Astronaut David Saint-Jacques Says First Spacewalk Was 'Pure Joy'

Canadian astronaut David Saint-Jacques says it will likely take him years to fully absorb the experience of walking outside the International Space Station.

Astronaut David Saint-Jacques Says First Spacewalk Was 'Pure Joy'

CRA Wins Appeal Against B.C. Couple Who Alleged 'Malicious' Tax Evasion Probe

CRA Wins Appeal Against B.C. Couple Who Alleged 'Malicious' Tax Evasion Probe
Tony and Helen Samaroo were operating a restaurant, night club and motel in Nanaimo in 2008 when they were charged with 21 counts of tax evasion for allegedly skimming $1.7 million from their businesses.

CRA Wins Appeal Against B.C. Couple Who Alleged 'Malicious' Tax Evasion Probe

Ministers Appear Unfazed By Senate Changes To Federal Gun Bill

Ministers Appear Unfazed By Senate Changes To Federal Gun Bill
Federal ministers played down notions Tuesday that Senate committee amendments to the Liberals' gun bill would hobble the legislation.

Ministers Appear Unfazed By Senate Changes To Federal Gun Bill

Report On Missing, Murdered Indigenous Women To Be Released In June

Report On Missing, Murdered Indigenous Women To Be Released In June
OTTAWA — A much-anticipated report on missing and murdered Indigenous women and girls is set to be released to the public in June.

Report On Missing, Murdered Indigenous Women To Be Released In June

Trudeau Defends Changes To Asylum Laws That Have Refugee Workers Alarmed

Trudeau Defends Changes To Asylum Laws That Have Refugee Workers Alarmed
The changes would prevent asylum seekers from making refugee claims in Canada if they have made similar claims in certain other countries, including the United States — a move Border Security Minister Bill Blair says is aimed at preventing "asylum-shopping."

Trudeau Defends Changes To Asylum Laws That Have Refugee Workers Alarmed