Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Rival's Exit Appears To Clear Way For Kevin Vickers As N.B. Liberal Leader

Rival's Exit Appears To Clear Way For Kevin Vickers As N.B. Liberal Leader
It appears Kevin Vickers, the former House of Commons sergeant-at-arms, is poised to be the next leader of New Brunswick's Liberal party.

Rival's Exit Appears To Clear Way For Kevin Vickers As N.B. Liberal Leader

Saskatchewan Priest Facing Extradition To Scotland On Sex Abuse Charges

 A retired Catholic priest living Saskatchewan is facing extradition to Scotland on decades-old abuse charges.

Saskatchewan Priest Facing Extradition To Scotland On Sex Abuse Charges

Suspect In Edmonton Attack, Officer Stabbing Looking For A Lawyer Before October Trial

EDMONTON — A man accused of trying to kill an Edmonton police officer and of running down pedestrians is still without a lawyer six months before his trial.

Suspect In Edmonton Attack, Officer Stabbing Looking For A Lawyer Before October Trial

Groups Believe Not Having Children Is A Way To Cut A Person's Carbon Footprint

Groups Believe Not Having Children Is A Way To Cut A Person's Carbon Footprint
VANCOUVER — When Roy Sasano told his parents he was getting sterilized a few years ago to reduce his carbon footprint, he remembers they weren't surprised.

Groups Believe Not Having Children Is A Way To Cut A Person's Carbon Footprint

New B.C. Conservatives Leader Trevor Bolin Says Party Took Time To 'Rebuild,' Form Platform

VANCOUVER — A 39-year-old councillor from Fort St. John, B.C., is the new leader of the BC Conservative Party.

New B.C. Conservatives Leader Trevor Bolin Says Party Took Time To 'Rebuild,' Form Platform

Looters Likely Scouring Sunken Treasures Off Nova Scotia, Experts Warn

Beneath the choppy waves off Nova Scotia's rugged coast are thousands of shipwreck sites sprinkled with lost treasure: centuries-old coins, canons, and perhaps even historic booty stolen from the White House.

Looters Likely Scouring Sunken Treasures Off Nova Scotia, Experts Warn