Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Ridge Meadows RCMP Looking For Man Accused Of Offering Ride To 12-Year-Old Girl

Police are asking for the public's help in identifying a man who allegedly offered a 12-year-old girl a ride home near a school in Maple Ridge, B.C.

Ridge Meadows RCMP Looking For Man Accused Of Offering Ride To 12-Year-Old Girl

Pedestrian Killed In Coquitlam, B.C., Crash Identified As 13-Year-Old Girl

COQUITLAM, B.C. — Police say a 13-year-old girl was the pedestrian who died after a collision on Monday at an intersection in Coquitlam, B.C.    

Pedestrian Killed In Coquitlam, B.C., Crash Identified As 13-Year-Old Girl

BC Coroners Service To Hold Public Inquest Into Teen's Overdose Death

VICTORIA — The BC Coroners Service says it has scheduled a inquest into the overdose death of a Victoria teenager last year.

BC Coroners Service To Hold Public Inquest Into Teen's Overdose Death

Manitoba Awareness Campaign Aims To Stop Sexual Harassment Of Civil Servants

WINNIPEG — The Manitoba government is undertaking a governmentwide awareness campaign to ensure employees aren't facing sexual harassment at work.    

Manitoba Awareness Campaign Aims To Stop Sexual Harassment Of Civil Servants

Study Says B.C.'s Housing Policies Mean Drug Users Can Be Targeted For Eviction

Study Says B.C.'s Housing Policies Mean Drug Users Can Be Targeted For Eviction
The study by the BC Centre on Substance Use says low-income tenants living in private and non-profit single-room occupancy units are targeted specifically for their drug use and often evicted without notice.

Study Says B.C.'s Housing Policies Mean Drug Users Can Be Targeted For Eviction

Boys In Manitoba School Asked To Display Underwear After Toilet Prank

Boys In Manitoba School Asked To Display Underwear After Toilet Prank
Parents and guardians of children who attend Carman Elementary got a letter from the principal last Friday, stating that most boys in grades 4 and 5 had been involved in clogging a toilet with underwear earlier this month.

Boys In Manitoba School Asked To Display Underwear After Toilet Prank