Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

14-Year-Old Athena Gervais' Drowning Death Linked To Sugary Alcoholic Drinks: Quebec Coroner

MONTREAL — A Quebec coroner has found that alcohol played a role in the death of a 14-year-old girl who was found dead in a stream behind her school in Laval, Que., last year.

14-Year-Old Athena Gervais' Drowning Death Linked To Sugary Alcoholic Drinks: Quebec Coroner

Tories Seek Investigation Into Leak Of Trudeau-JWR Clash Over Top Court Choice

Tories Seek Investigation Into Leak Of Trudeau-JWR Clash Over Top Court Choice
Conservative justice critic Lisa Raitt has sent a letter to Marc Giroux arguing that the leak "strongly suggests" that "political actors" leaked information about an appointment to the country's highest court.

Tories Seek Investigation Into Leak Of Trudeau-JWR Clash Over Top Court Choice

Boyle's Wife Says He Insulted, Belittled Her During Rollercoaster Relationship

Boyle, 35, has pleaded not guilty to offences against Coleman, including assault, sexual assault and unlawful confinement, that allegedly took place after the couple were freed by Pakistani forces and had returned to Canada in late 2017.

Boyle's Wife Says He Insulted, Belittled Her During Rollercoaster Relationship

Anjou Councillor Lynne Shand Removed From Party Following Comments About Muslim Doctor

MONTREAL — A Montreal borough mayor has kicked out of caucus a councillor who stated publicly how upset she was to be treated by a doctor wearing a Muslim headscarf.

Anjou Councillor Lynne Shand Removed From Party Following Comments About Muslim Doctor

Chinese Student Allegedly Abducted From Markham Out Of Hospital, Suspects Sought

Chinese Student Allegedly Abducted From Markham Out Of Hospital, Suspects Sought
A Chinese student believed to be the victim of a violent abduction is out of hospital and waiting to be reunited with his family as police hunt for the men suspected of kidnapping him, officers said Wednesday.

Chinese Student Allegedly Abducted From Markham Out Of Hospital, Suspects Sought

MPs Denounce Leaked Reports Of Trudeau-JWR Clash Over Supreme Court Pick

 Leaked reports about a dispute between Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and former attorney general Jody Wilson-Raybould over a Supreme Court appointment drew condemnation from bar associations and MPs of all parties

MPs Denounce Leaked Reports Of Trudeau-JWR Clash Over Supreme Court Pick