Thursday, May 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

Police Seek Dashcam Footage After Alleged East Vancouver Assault Leaves Man With Life-Threatening Injuries

Police Seek Dashcam Footage After Alleged East Vancouver Assault Leaves Man With Life-Threatening Injuries
At around 10 p.m. on March 23, a 64-year-old Burnaby man was walking along Euclid Avenue near Tyne Street when he was viciously attacked.

Police Seek Dashcam Footage After Alleged East Vancouver Assault Leaves Man With Life-Threatening Injuries

Fight Outside Burrard SkyTrain Station: Vancouver Police Seek Witnesses

Fight Outside Burrard SkyTrain Station: Vancouver Police Seek Witnesses
Vancouver Police want to speak with witnesses to a serious assault last Wednesday evening near the Burrard Street Skytrain Station.

Fight Outside Burrard SkyTrain Station: Vancouver Police Seek Witnesses

Calgary Police Officers To Appeal Corruption Conviction In Harassment Case

Calgary Police Officers To Appeal Corruption Conviction In Harassment Case
CALGARY — Two former Calgary police officers found guilty of misusing department computers and harassing a woman in a custody battle have filed appeals.

Calgary Police Officers To Appeal Corruption Conviction In Harassment Case

Personal Data Of 34,000 Medical Marijuana Patients Accessed In Data Breach: NHS

Personal Data Of 34,000 Medical Marijuana Patients Accessed In Data Breach: NHS
NHS says patients have been informed in the last week of the breach that occurred between Dec. 4, 2018 and Jan. 7.

Personal Data Of 34,000 Medical Marijuana Patients Accessed In Data Breach: NHS

Two 17-Year-Old Surrey Males Charged For Using Imitation Firearm To Shoot At Vehicle

Two 17-Year-Old Surrey Males Charged For Using Imitation Firearm To Shoot At Vehicle
The Surrey RCMP advises that charges have now been laid against two males from Surrey in connection to an incident that occurred on Sunday, March 24, 2019.

Two 17-Year-Old Surrey Males Charged For Using Imitation Firearm To Shoot At Vehicle

Mother And Two Sons Identified As Victims Of 'Suspicious' Surrey Crash: Homicide Investigation Launched

Mother And Two Sons Identified As Victims Of 'Suspicious' Surrey Crash: Homicide Investigation Launched
Surrey RCMP is continuing to investigate a fatal motor vehicle collision on 32 Avenue Diversion below the Highway 99 overpass.

Mother And Two Sons Identified As Victims Of 'Suspicious' Surrey Crash: Homicide Investigation Launched