Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Aug, 2019 06:10 PM
  • New Trial Ordered In Via Rail Terror Plot

TORONTO - Two men found guilty of terrorism charges in connection with a plot to derail a passenger train between Canada and the U.S. were granted a new trial Tuesday after Ontario's highest court found the jury that convicted them was improperly selected.

 

Raed Jaser and Chiheb Esseghaier were found guilty in 2015 on a total of eight terror-related charges between them. They were sentenced to life in prison with no chance of parole until 2023.

 

The two challenged their convictions, and lawyers for Jaser argued the trial judge mistakenly rejected their client's request regarding the method of jury selection.

 

The lawyer appointed to assist Esseghaier — who continues to be self-represented — agreed in written arguments that a new trial had to be ordered on that ground.

 

The law regarding jury selection was in flux during the trial but the appeal court said in its ruling that the approach used by the judge has since been deemed wrong. Several other cases have been overturned due to similar errors in recent years.

 

Though Esseghaier, who largely chose not to participate in the trial proceedings, had not expressed a preference as to jury selection, he should receive a new trial, the appeal court said Tuesday.

 

"Here, one jury was selected for both appellants. In the circumstances of this case, as the jury was not properly constituted for Jaser, it cannot be considered to have been properly constituted for Esseghaier," the court said in a unanimous decision.

 

Jaser had also raised other grounds for appeal but the jury issue was heard first. Both men also previously indicated they wished to challenge their sentences, but the call for a new trial makes that unnecessary.

 

The pair was arrested in April 2013 after a months-long investigation that involved an undercover FBI agent who gained their trust and secretly recorded hours of their conversations.

 

The two were recorded speaking about terror plots they would conduct in retaliation for Canada's military actions in Muslim countries, including the derailment of a Via Rail train travelling between New York and Toronto.

 

Those recordings made up the bulk of the evidence in the case.

MORE National ARTICLES

OD Prevention Sites Possible At Canada'S Prisons: Correctional Service

OD Prevention Sites Possible At Canada'S Prisons: Correctional Service
VANCOUVER — Canada's prisoner service is considering opening overdose prevention sites as it expands a needle-exchange program that is now offered at a fifth institution for offenders who inject smuggled drugs.

OD Prevention Sites Possible At Canada'S Prisons: Correctional Service

Supreme Court Stresses Jail Should Be 'The Exception' For People Awaiting Trial

Supreme Court Stresses Jail Should Be 'The Exception' For People Awaiting Trial
The Supreme Court of Canada says making an accused person wait in jail before trial should be the exception, not the rule, in a decision that affirms a key legal safeguard intended to ensure speedy justice.

Supreme Court Stresses Jail Should Be 'The Exception' For People Awaiting Trial

Quebec Teachers, Religious Groups Denounce Government's Secularism Bill

Advocacy organizations and citizens are denouncing the Quebec government's secularism legislation, saying it turns religious minorities into second-class citizens.

Quebec Teachers, Religious Groups Denounce Government's Secularism Bill

Quebec Bill Prohibits Religious Symbols For Teachers, Other Public Sector Workers

Quebec Bill Prohibits Religious Symbols For Teachers, Other Public Sector Workers
QUEBEC — The Quebec government tabled legislation Thursday to prohibit public sector employees in positions of authority from wearing religious symbols at work.

Quebec Bill Prohibits Religious Symbols For Teachers, Other Public Sector Workers

Scams – What Is Trending In Richmond

Scams – What Is Trending In Richmond
Text Message Scam – Victim is sent a text message to transfer funds to receive a windfall in return. After funds are transferred, nothing is received in return.

Scams – What Is Trending In Richmond

Two Charged ‘Distraction Thefts’ Targeting Vancouver Seniors’ Jewelry

Two Charged ‘Distraction Thefts’ Targeting Vancouver Seniors’ Jewelry
Vancouver Police have made arrests in a series of recent distraction thefts in South Vancouver. Two individuals are facing charges.

Two Charged ‘Distraction Thefts’ Targeting Vancouver Seniors’ Jewelry