Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2021 04:08 PM
  • No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Senior officials acknowledged Thursday there is no independent oversight of the requirement that federal departments proactively publish government records.

Justin Trudeau promised in the 2015 election campaign to allow Canadians to request documents from ministerial offices through the Access to Information Act, but he backed away from the pledge after the Liberals assumed power.

Instead, the government introduced a requirement that ministers regularly publish information including mandate letters, certain briefing materials, and travel and hospitality expenses.

During a public question-and-answer session Thursday, part of a federal review of the access law, officials were asked why the information commissioner, an independent ombudsman, was not given the job of ensuring departments meet their publishing obligations.

Jennifer Schofield of the Treasury Board Secretariat said there is no specific oversight mechanism for proactive disclosure.

"But it is subject to public scrutiny," she said. "The public is easily able to see if information has been practically published by an institution at any given time."

Schofield's colleague Sonya Read said deputy ministers in each department are responsible for ensuring they're in compliance with the publication scheme.

A report from the government review of the Access to Information Act is to be submitted to the Treasury Board president by Jan. 31 of next year.

The review, announced last June, has prompted skepticism from open-government proponents, who note many studies have been done over the years on reforming the access law.

The law, introduced in 1983, allows people who pay $5 to ask for a range of federal documents, but it has been widely criticized as antiquated and poorly managed.

Information commissioner Caroline Maynard wants the offices of the prime minister and other cabinet members to be included under the access law.

Maynard said the records these offices hold, with the exception of those of a personal or political nature, should be accessible to the public.

"It is important to provide the public with access to records that are of interest to them, not just those that are proactively made available to them," she said in a written submission to the government earlier this year.

The federal review is focusing on the legislative framework, opportunities to improve proactive publication, and assessing processes to improve service and reduce delays.

Details about the consultations and procedures for making written submissions are posted at atiareview.ca.

MORE National ARTICLES

Two youths arrested in bust of drug cache site

Two youths arrested in bust of drug cache site
Two 16-year-old males were arrested; one is alleged to have been in possession of a loaded handgun at the time of his arrest.

Two youths arrested in bust of drug cache site

Walnut Grove Secondary School evacuated over alleged bomb threat: Langley RCMP

Walnut Grove Secondary School evacuated over alleged bomb threat: Langley RCMP
All students and staff were evacuated safely. The Langley RCMP and Lower Mainland Police Dog Services conducted an extensive search of the school and grounds and deemed the area safe.

Walnut Grove Secondary School evacuated over alleged bomb threat: Langley RCMP

Trudeau Government Extends Wage and Rent Subsidy Amounts Through to June

Trudeau Government Extends Wage and Rent Subsidy Amounts Through to June
Today, the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance, the Honourable Chrystia Freeland, announced that the government intends to extend the current rate structures for these subsidies from March 14 to June 5, 2021.

Trudeau Government Extends Wage and Rent Subsidy Amounts Through to June

Kielburgers refuse request to testify

Kielburgers refuse request to testify
In a statement, the charity notes that New Democrat MP Charlie Angus has requested that the RCMP and the Canada Revenue Agency investigate WE's operations.

Kielburgers refuse request to testify

U.K., Israel studies show single dose effective

U.K., Israel studies show single dose effective
B.C. provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry has said the plan is based on research in the two countries as well as evidence collected by the BC Centre for Disease Control and in Quebec.

U.K., Israel studies show single dose effective

Ex-ombud says he told Sajjan about Vance in 2018

Ex-ombud says he told Sajjan about Vance in 2018
Sajjan at that time repeatedly refused to say what he and Walbourne discussed during their meeting on March 1, 2018, citing confidentiality.

Ex-ombud says he told Sajjan about Vance in 2018