Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 May, 2021 04:08 PM
  • No outside oversight of proactive info: officials

Senior officials acknowledged Thursday there is no independent oversight of the requirement that federal departments proactively publish government records.

Justin Trudeau promised in the 2015 election campaign to allow Canadians to request documents from ministerial offices through the Access to Information Act, but he backed away from the pledge after the Liberals assumed power.

Instead, the government introduced a requirement that ministers regularly publish information including mandate letters, certain briefing materials, and travel and hospitality expenses.

During a public question-and-answer session Thursday, part of a federal review of the access law, officials were asked why the information commissioner, an independent ombudsman, was not given the job of ensuring departments meet their publishing obligations.

Jennifer Schofield of the Treasury Board Secretariat said there is no specific oversight mechanism for proactive disclosure.

"But it is subject to public scrutiny," she said. "The public is easily able to see if information has been practically published by an institution at any given time."

Schofield's colleague Sonya Read said deputy ministers in each department are responsible for ensuring they're in compliance with the publication scheme.

A report from the government review of the Access to Information Act is to be submitted to the Treasury Board president by Jan. 31 of next year.

The review, announced last June, has prompted skepticism from open-government proponents, who note many studies have been done over the years on reforming the access law.

The law, introduced in 1983, allows people who pay $5 to ask for a range of federal documents, but it has been widely criticized as antiquated and poorly managed.

Information commissioner Caroline Maynard wants the offices of the prime minister and other cabinet members to be included under the access law.

Maynard said the records these offices hold, with the exception of those of a personal or political nature, should be accessible to the public.

"It is important to provide the public with access to records that are of interest to them, not just those that are proactively made available to them," she said in a written submission to the government earlier this year.

The federal review is focusing on the legislative framework, opportunities to improve proactive publication, and assessing processes to improve service and reduce delays.

Details about the consultations and procedures for making written submissions are posted at atiareview.ca.

MORE National ARTICLES

One killed, two hurt in North Vancouver crash

One killed, two hurt in North Vancouver crash
Police say a vehicle with a lone male inside crossed the centre line, hitting the vehicle with the woman and her passenger.

One killed, two hurt in North Vancouver crash

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack
The 28-year-old from Richmond Hill, Ont., pleaded not guilty to 10 counts of first-degree murder and 16 counts of attempted murder.

Alek Minassian found guilty in Toronto van attack

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns
Ontario MP David Sweet says the pandemic-related restrictions are causing huge psychological and economic damage.

Tory MP David Sweet speaks out against lockdowns

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up
He says that by the end of the month, Canada should receive more than the 6 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines it initially expected.

PM 'optimistic' that vaccine timeline can move up

Federal funding for 100 new research projects

Federal funding for 100 new research projects
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced $518 million Wednesday he says will support the work of nearly 1,000 researchers.

Federal funding for 100 new research projects

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey
An individual at the school tested positive for a COVID-19 variant of concern. Only those staff and students who have been identified as close contacts need to be tested and have been contacted.

Fraser Health declares COVID-19 outbreak at Cindrich Elementary School in Surrey