Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

No response from PM an 'insult': B.C. First Nation

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Oct, 2021 01:33 PM
  • No response from PM an 'insult': B.C. First Nation

KAMLOOPS, B.C. - The Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc First Nation says Prime Minister Justin Trudeau "missed an opportunity" to show his commitment to the survivors of residential schools by not replying to its invitations to take part in an event marking the first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

A statement on Thursday from the First Nation in Kamloops, B.C., said the lack of a response to two letters was "an added insult," but it looks forward to welcoming Trudeau in the community later this month.

It added Trudeau's presence would have shown the world his personal commitment to "enacting real change and rectifying the historical wrongs" of the residential school system, and to personally support grieving Indian Residential School survivors.

It says the Canadian government created residential schools and its leadership is needed "to work with Indigenous Peoples to find a path of truth telling and reconciliation."

The statement says his attendance would have been an "acknowledgment" to all survivors, their families and communities, adding that "a clear public gesture would have brought peace to many."

On Wednesday, Trudeau said he regrets the mistake of travelling to B.C. to join his vacationing family in Tofino on the day meant to honour survivors of the residential school system.

The First Nation says "real action and change" is needed that supports healing and the revitalization of their language, culture and traditions.

"We are not interested in apologies that don’t lead to institutional and widespread change."

The Prime Minister's Office said in a brief statement Thursday that Trudeau and Tk’emlúps te Secwepemc Chief Rosanne Casimir had spoken about the path forward to reconciliation.

It added that Trudeau and Casimir had previously spoken following the finding of more than 200 unmarked graves at the site of the former residential school.

Trudeau's office said Sunday that the prime minister spoke with the head of the Tk'emlúps te Secwepemc Nation on Saturday and apologized for failing to accept invitations to mark Sept. 30 in the community.

The First Nation said it wants funding for a healing centre to support residential school survivors as well as being supplied with the school's attendance records by the federal government, which could help identify remains found at the site as well as any other missing children.

Indigenous leaders have previously shared their frustration over the prime minister's decision to go on vacation on the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Rule changes in B.C. allow for marijuana delivery

Rule changes in B.C. allow for marijuana delivery
British Columbia's legal cannabis operators will be allowed to deliver directly to buyers starting on July 15. Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth says the government wants to shrink the illegal market and allowing delivery to consumers is an advantage retailers have said they need.

Rule changes in B.C. allow for marijuana delivery

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum
In order for the petition to succeed, setting off the referendum, signatures from at least 10 per cent of the registered voters in each of British Columbia’s 87 electoral districts must be collected within 90 days of the petition's start.

B.C. policing choice faces petition for referendum

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court
Jamal, who would be the first person of colour to sit on the top court, was a longtime litigator before becoming a judge of the Ontario Court of Appeal two years ago.

Ontario judge Mahmud Jamal nominated to top court

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B
Public Services and Procurement Canada says construction on the traditional seat of the House of Commons is expected to wrap before 2032, with a cost of between $4.5 billion and $5 billion.

Centre Block restoration to cost up to $5B

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground
A 50-year-old West Vancouver woman is lucky to have walked away with only a ticket, after she lost control outside an elementary school and crashed through a fence, narrowly missing children playing nearby.

Luckily no injuries after vehicle crashes into school playground

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai
IHIT says 33 year old  Parminder Rai a Burnaby resident was reported missing by his family on June 9. He is known to police and has possible gang connections.

IHIT suspect foul play in disappearance of Burnaby man Parminder Rai