Sunday, September 25, 2022
ADVT 
National

Order issued to end encampment in Vancouver park

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 09 Apr, 2021 06:35 PM
  • Order issued to end encampment in Vancouver park

People camping and living in a Vancouver park will have until the end of the month to pack up their tents.

Vancouver's park board general manager issued a new order Friday restricting tents and other temporary structures from being set up in Strathcona Park after April 30.

The board says in a statement that the shut down is a "necessary next step" to return the park to community use.

The order comes after the province, city and park board signed a formal agreement this week to end the 10-month encampment that has swelled to roughly 400 tents.

Earlier this month, the British Columbia government announced it had bought three more hotels with a total of 249 units to help house the homeless.

About 114 units are expected to be available soon.

The campers moved into Strathcona Park after the Vancouver Port Authority won a court injunction requiring them to leave nearby Crab Park.

They previously camped at Oppenheimer Park, which was shut down by the B.C. government after nearly two years over fears of COVID-19 spreading.

MORE National ARTICLES

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.

Victoria police say the youth was on his way to school just after 8 a.m. Wednesday when he was grabbed and pulled from his bike by a man he did not know.

Boy reports unprovoked attack in Esquimalt, B.C.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.

A critically injured 35-year-old man was found in a tent and died a short time later in hospital.

Police probe fatal stabbing in Abbotsford, B.C.

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19

Among the most sweeping changes are a four-week stay-at-home order and vaccines targeting hot spots announced by Ontario Premier Doug Ford on Wednesday.

Restrictions tighten amid third wave of COVID-19

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line

The masks are being produced by 3M Canada following a multimillion-dollar deal between Ottawa and Queen's Park announced last August by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford.

N95 masks start rolling off Ontario assembly line

Nearly 1 million in B.C. have gotten COVID-19 shot

Nearly 1 million in B.C. have gotten COVID-19 shot

A joint statement from provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix says 946,096 doses of the three vaccines have been administered, and of those, more than 87,000 were second doses.

Nearly 1 million in B.C. have gotten COVID-19 shot

997 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

997 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

There are currently 3,766 confirmed COVID-19 cases that are variants of concern in our province.

997 COVID19 cases for Wednesday