Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

New COVID-19 restrictions in north B.C.

New COVID-19 restrictions in north B.C.
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says indoor gatherings are now restricted to only one other family or five guests, while outdoor gatherings are limited to 50 people.

New COVID-19 restrictions in north B.C.

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday
84.6% (3,922,233) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 76.9% (3,565,148) received their second dose.    

801 COVID19 cases for Thursday

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD
An employee working at the mall witnessed a man approach a woman from behind and grope her buttocks on August 27 around 5 p.m. The suspect then fled and mall security followed him while calling 911. Police were able to locate the suspect on a bus near Hastings and Abbott streets.    

Woman assaulted at Pacific Centre Mall: VPD

16 new, improved schools to start school year

16 new, improved schools to start school year
Right in time for the new school year, more than 8,600 students will be returning to safer and modernized classrooms at 16 new or improved schools throughout the province. The Government of B.C. has invested almost $353 million in these schools.

16 new, improved schools to start school year

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks
On Wednesday, at around 4:00 p.m., Burnaby RCMP located and arrested a 15-year-old boy who police believe to have committed these attacks. He was taken into custody as he departed a SkyTrain station.    

Teenage boy arrested for assaulting 3 women in random attacks

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu
Surrey RCMP is updating the public that the 40-year old man reported missing August 31, 2021, was located deceased. On September 5, 2021, the missing male was located deceased. Criminality does not appear to be a factor in his death and the investigation has been turned over to BC Coroners Service.

Surrey RCMP need the public's help in locating missing man Robinder Sidhu