Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop
Emergency Management BC says residents of another 3,900 properties that were on evacuation alert, meaning they should be ready to leave on short notice, decreased by about 2,150 on Wednesday night from the day before.

B.C. wildfires, evacuation orders continue to drop

Ugester Prashad of Brampton arrested in a Sexual Assault Investigation

Ugester Prashad of Brampton arrested in a Sexual Assault Investigation
Ugester Prashad, 52, of Brampton, has been charged with  two counts of Invitation to Sexual Touching and he is scheduled to appear in court at 2201 Finch Avenue West on Friday, October 22, 2021 at 2 p.m.

Ugester Prashad of Brampton arrested in a Sexual Assault Investigation

37 year old man passes away after a collision results in closure of Highway 17

37 year old man passes away after a collision results in closure of Highway 17
On September 2nd, 2021 at 2:55 am, Surrey RCMP received reports of a 2 vehicle collision involving a semi truck towing a fuel trailer that occurred on Highway 17 between the 104th Avenue and 108th Avenue exits. Upon arrival Surrey RCMP and Surrey FIRE located a driver with serious life threatening injuries.

37 year old man passes away after a collision results in closure of Highway 17

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals
The chamber says Canada is missing a "major opportunity" to be a world power in producing the minerals and rare-earth elements that power everything from cellphones to electric cars.

Chamber to leaders: Let's talk critical minerals

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate
Only four leaders — the Liberals' Justin Trudeau, the Conservatives' Erin O'Toole, the Bloc Québécois' Yves-Francois Blanchet and the NDP's Jagmeet Singh — will take part.

Four leaders square off in first campaign debate

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV
The board says August home sales in the region totalled 3,152, a 3.4 per cent increase from 3,047 last August, but a 5.2 per cent decrease from 3,326 in July. The board says sales last month were about 20 per cent higher than the 10-year August sales average.    

August home sales slowed, prices rose: REBGV