Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport
The military's special forces are operating outside the closed confines of Kabul's chaotic airport to get people on flights out of Afghanistan, Canadian officials disclosed Monday.

Canadian special forces outside Kabul airport

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail
As the federal election campaign entered its second full week, the Liberals painted themselves as the trusted guardians of universal health care and the New Democrats promised to be true environmental stewards by ending fossil fuel subsidies.

Health care, climate, workers dominate trail

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti
Approximately 400 people were aboard the ship when they were not allowed to enter Canada. The City of Vancouver issued a statement, that it was "saddened" to learn the memorial had been defaced, noting workers will be sent to remove the paint.

Vancouver's Komagata Maru Memorial target of graffiti

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.
More than 60 evacuation orders are in place across British Columbia, and there are nearly 120 evacuation alerts, which means people should be ready to leave within minutes.

Nearly 250 wildfires burning in B.C.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry said Friday that B.C. may not be able to move to the next step in its COVID-19 restart plan as quickly as expected.

B.C. holding COVID-19 vaccination update

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children
Richmond RCMP Mobile Enforcement Team subsequently arrested and held the man in-custody for allegedly breaching his order of prohibition in relation to children. Edward Gary Bolderson has been charged with 1 count of fail to comply with prohibitions regarding children, contrary to Section 161(4) of the Criminal Code of Canada.

Strike Force arrest man for alleged breach of prohibitions in relation to children