Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton
 A male was located suffering from serious, life threatening injuries and was transported to local hospital.  Two individuals are currently in custody.  

2 people in custody after shots fired in Newton

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma
A single vehicle collision into a tree in the 16000-block of 104th Avenue claims lives of 3 teenagers.  The deceased have been identified Caleb Reimer, Ronin Sharma, and Parker Magnuson between the ages of 16-17 years old.    

Single vehicle crash in Surrey claims lives of 3 teenagers, one of them identified as Ronin Sharma

663 COVID19 cases for Friday

663 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 6,345 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 150,657 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 129 individuals are in hospital and 59 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

663 COVID19 cases for Friday

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor
Henry announced restrictions currently in place in the central Okanagan, such as mandatory mask wearing and reduced limits on indoor and outdoor events, will be expanded across the region in an effort to limit the rise in COVID-19 cases.

B.C. may not move to Step 4 as cases rise: doctor

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul
He said the government is not requiring passports or COVID-19 negative tests from the Afghan passengers and is deferring biometric screening to a third country, where it's safe for evacuees and government officials to be screened.

Canada ramping up evacuation from Kabul

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault
The frightening incident occurred around 1 p.m. on August 6, as a 25-year-old man was driving on West Georgia Street, near the Vancouver Art Gallery. A panhandler approached the front of his car, blocked his path forward, and started behaving erratically while asking for money.

VPD investigates after driver injured in unprovoked assault