Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Mar, 2022 04:48 PM
  • Ottawa protesters not donors had accounts frozen

OTTAWA - Assistant RCMP Commissioner Michel Arcand says the Mounties only gave the names of people directly involved in Ottawa protests to banks to freeze their accounts

Arcand is appearing at the House of Commons finance committee today during its study of the government's use of the Emergencies Act to bring an end to blockades in Ottawa and several border crossings.

He says the RCMP did not send banks the names of any people who only donated to the Freedom Convoy or names of people involved in protests outside Ottawa.

Hundreds of demonstrators blockaded roads in Ottawa for more than three weeks last month, and similar demonstrations blocked four major border crossings in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia.

Arcand says the intelligence about who was involved in the Ottawa protests was gathered by the RCMP, Ontario Provincial Police and Ottawa police before the names were given to banks.

Arcand says the accounts were frozen to encourage protesters to leave and to discourage others to join the protests.

MORE National ARTICLES

536 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

536 COVID19 cases for Wednesday
82.2% (3,809,806) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 71.1% (3,296,603) have received their second dose.    

536 COVID19 cases for Wednesday

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood
Maria Dewolfe-Broad was last seen at Guildford Mall on July 30, 2021. Family and police are concerned for her wellbeing due to the length of time she has been out of contact.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in finding missing teen from Guildford neighborhood

More structures lost in main B.C. fire

More structures lost in main B.C. fire
The fire has moved eastward since then, prompting evacuation orders and alerts by four regional districts, two First Nations and the City of Vernon, while orders or alerts for other communities, including Falkland, Armstrong, Chase and the Spallumcheen township, have since been lifted.

More structures lost in main B.C. fire

Vaccine passports for travel coming

Vaccine passports for travel coming
The document, expected to be ready by the fall, will be digital, with an option for those who can't or don't want a digital certificate. Mendicino says it will include data on the type of vaccines received, the dates, and the location.

Vaccine passports for travel coming

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July
Since July 1 of this year, there have been eight incidents related to the Granville Entertainment District. The eight incidents range from unwanted touching (groping) to forced sexual intercourse. In July alone, there have been 16 reported stranger sexual assaults throughout Vancouver, compared to 10 in July of 2020 and 7 in July of 2019.

Vancouver Police saw a 129 % increase in stranger sexual assaults in July

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.
The BC Wildfire Service fire danger map shows risk levels have returned to high or extreme across southern Vancouver Island and most of the central Interior following last weekend's showers.

Heat warnings raise wildfire anxiety in B.C.