Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 01:14 PM
  • Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

A military watchdog is pushing Ottawa to financially compensate Afghan Canadians who served as interpreters for the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan and later suffered mental distress.

The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Hynes said Ottawa should order independent assessments and determine on a case-by-case basis if former advisers need compensation for such conditions as post-traumatic stress disorder.

"There were systemic failures at multiple points in the employment of the (advisers) and in post-employment care," she said.

Ottawa hired 81 of these advisers to work from 2006 to 2014 in the war-torn country on prolonged deployments outside the safe zones of military bases. Many would later struggle to access benefits and supports because they aren't covered by the same policies as military members.

"The federal government made a commitment to these employees when they hired them," Hynes said. "They sent them overseas, they deployed them outside the wire, they put them in harm's way, and then when they came back, they found themselves unable to access the care and benefits that they needed."

Her office has been raising this issue with the federal government for years. But while Defence Minister Bill Blair has pledged support, Ottawa has so far failed to act.

Ottawa's response to former advisers seeking compensation has been to direct them to the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Many advisers say they've struggled and failed to get the provincial bureaucracy to advance their claims.

Of all the WSIB claims filed by former advisers, only three led to financial compensation and 13 qualified for some level of health-care benefits, Hynes said.

Blair's written response to the report said he "regret(s) the injuries that several" suffered due to their deployments and the department now has measures in place limiting civilian deployment time.

But Hynes said Blair's response to her recommendations left her "very unclear" about how Ottawa's plan for the advisers will "meet the spirit" of her recommendations.

She called her report her last option to spur the government into action.

"I was hoping that clearly laying out the evidence, showing the timeline, showing the policy gaps — I really hoped that would prompt action, but I would note that there's no requirement for the government to follow the recommendations made by our office," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior dead in fatal crash

Senior dead in fatal crash
A 78-year-old woman is dead after ahead-on crash in the Fraser Valley last night. R-C-M-P say initial evidence suggests the woman was driving south on Wilson Street, outside Mission, when her car crossed the centre line.

Senior dead in fatal crash

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc
LeBlanc couldn't provide specifics on the number of extra "boots on the ground," but said the government is finalizing a plan based on advice received from the RCMP and Canada Border Services Agency, and that he is now working with Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland to fund it.

Plan to add resources to border will come before Trump inauguration: LeBlanc

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats
The head of Canada's diplomatic service says he recently briefed diplomats working in Canada about where their work might cross the line from influence into foreign interference. Deputy Foreign Affairs Minister David Morrison tells The Canadian Press that the ongoing inquiry into foreign interference and extensive media coverage might have created uncertainty around the issue.

Head of Canada's diplomatic service holds interference briefing for foreign diplomats

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect
Vancouver Art Gallery CEO Anthony Kiendl also says in a written statement that it would no longer be working with the Swiss architectural firm Herzog & de Meuron, although it remains committed to building a new cultural hub that will “serve and inspire diverse audiences.”

Vancouver Art Gallery scuttles $600M design of new building, parts way with architect

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter
Environment Canada says most of the country will see normal or above-normal temperatures this winter, but the later part of the season could be very different from the start.  The federal agency released its winter forecast today, with meteorologists noting that the fall was extremely mild, particularly in Western Canada, until the last couple of weeks. 

Environment Canada says most of Canada in for a warmer than normal winter

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting
Police are looking for a suspect in a shooting that injured three people and caused an hours-long lockdown at West Edmonton Mall last year. Officers responded in August 2023 to an exchange of gunfire between two groups in the mall parkade, and police say it was targeted. 

West Edmonton Mall suspect added to Canada's Most Wanted list after 2023 shooting