Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 22 Jan, 2025 01:14 PM
  • Ottawa should compensate Afghan interpreters, military ombud says

A military watchdog is pushing Ottawa to financially compensate Afghan Canadians who served as interpreters for the Canadian Armed Forces in Afghanistan and later suffered mental distress.

The federal government failed in its duty to language and cultural advisers who worked for Canada's military during the Afghanistan conflict, says a report by Robyn Hynes, interim ombud for the Department of National Defence.

Hynes said Ottawa should order independent assessments and determine on a case-by-case basis if former advisers need compensation for such conditions as post-traumatic stress disorder.

"There were systemic failures at multiple points in the employment of the (advisers) and in post-employment care," she said.

Ottawa hired 81 of these advisers to work from 2006 to 2014 in the war-torn country on prolonged deployments outside the safe zones of military bases. Many would later struggle to access benefits and supports because they aren't covered by the same policies as military members.

"The federal government made a commitment to these employees when they hired them," Hynes said. "They sent them overseas, they deployed them outside the wire, they put them in harm's way, and then when they came back, they found themselves unable to access the care and benefits that they needed."

Her office has been raising this issue with the federal government for years. But while Defence Minister Bill Blair has pledged support, Ottawa has so far failed to act.

Ottawa's response to former advisers seeking compensation has been to direct them to the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Board (WSIB). Many advisers say they've struggled and failed to get the provincial bureaucracy to advance their claims.

Of all the WSIB claims filed by former advisers, only three led to financial compensation and 13 qualified for some level of health-care benefits, Hynes said.

Blair's written response to the report said he "regret(s) the injuries that several" suffered due to their deployments and the department now has measures in place limiting civilian deployment time.

But Hynes said Blair's response to her recommendations left her "very unclear" about how Ottawa's plan for the advisers will "meet the spirit" of her recommendations.

She called her report her last option to spur the government into action.

"I was hoping that clearly laying out the evidence, showing the timeline, showing the policy gaps — I really hoped that would prompt action, but I would note that there's no requirement for the government to follow the recommendations made by our office," she said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report
A new report says Canada needs to rethink its approach to health care to help manage rising costs as people age. CSA Group, an organization that helps policymakers develop standards around health and safety, says health care currentlycosts about $12,000 per year for each person 65 years and older, compared to $2,700 for each person younger than 65. 

Health-care costs will rise significantly as population ages, says new report

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial
Defence lawyers for an Ottawa graphic designer facing terror charges over his alleged involvement with the neo-Nazi group Atomwaffen Division say the evidence against their client is flimsy. Closing arguments are wrapping up in the trial of Patrick Macdonald, who pleaded not guilty to three charges of terrorism and hate speech.

Defence argues evidence too thin in Ottawa neo-Nazi terrorism trial

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is recalling field cucumbers – some of which were distributed in B-C – for possible salmonella contamination. The affected products from Mexico may have been labelled “SunFed” or sold loose without a brand name.

Cucumbers recalled due to salmonella

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home
Police in Nanaimo say a driver doing donuts lost control of their vehicle and crashed into a home on Saturday. The R-C-M-P says it's fortunate no one in the home was injured when the vehicle drove over the lawn and was lodged into the foundation, destroyed some brick work and a basement window.

Erratic driver crashes into Nanaimo home

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired
The disciplinary decision must now be reissued, dragging out the victim's pursuit of justice over how she was treated by colleagues in the wake of the 2019 attack. She called the situation a "screw-up" by the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner, which she said had failed its oversight mission.

B.C. police discipline ruling voided because officer overseeing investigation retired

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau will meet with opposition leaders in his office on Parliament Hill on Tuesday morning to brief them on the government's plan for the Canada-U.S. border.  Trudeau's office said he initiated the meeting after U.S. president-elect Donald Trump threatened punitive tariffs if Canada doesn't do more to stem the passage of people and illegal drugs across the border.

Trudeau calls meeting with opposition leaders about Canada-U.S. border plan