Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Members of Parliament are set to vote on a government request for billions of dollars in funding as the clock ticks down on a deadline.

Last month, the Liberals asked Parliament to approve $21.6 billion in spending through the supplementary estimates.

The money will go to fund the First Nations child and family services program, and to compensate the Quebec government for services for asylum seekers, among other programs.

But there had been uncertainty over whether the vote would even happen before Tuesday's deadline.

Parliament has been paralyzed for months as the Conservatives press the Liberals to hand over documents relating to hundreds of millions of dollars of misspending on a green-tech fund.

The issue is the focus of an ongoing privilege debate, which the Conservatives have pledged to keep going until they get what they want.

Privilege matters take precedence over nearly all other House affairs, so government business has been almost entirely stalled.

In a ruling last week, citing House of Commons rules and procedures, Speaker Greg Fergus said he would exercise his authority to pause the privilege debate so that the vote on government spending can proceed.

Supplementary estimates have to be voted on by Dec. 10, or the government wouldn't have authority to spend additional money.

The debate is set to happen Tuesday evening, and the spending might not go to a vote until Wednesday morning. Per new procedure rules adopted back in February, the government can suspend a sitting day at midnight, pausing proceedings until 9 a.m. the following day if debate on a spending matter isn't finished.

"Oh gosh, I don't want to predetermine anything. I don't want to tempt fate or the universe," government House leader Karina Gould told reporters on Monday when asked how she thinks the vote might play out.

"I'm looking forward to having the vote. There's a lot of really good things in there for Canadians, and it's important we get this done. This is what Parliament is here for."

Among other asks in the supplementary estimates is $561 million for the Department of National Defence for its Canadian multi-mission aircraft project.

"This funding is needed now for quarterly payment under the delivery plan we have with the United States government for the acquisition of up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft," a Defence Department spokesperson said in a statement.

The P-8A Poseidons are to replace Canada’s current maritime patrol aircraft, the CP-140 Aurora, which have been in service for more than 40 years.

"We are expecting first delivery of the aircraft in 2026," a department spokesperson said.

The First Nations child and family services program ask is for $955.2 million, which Indigenous Services Canada says is "to ensure continued compliance with Canadian Human Rights Tribunal orders and allow the continued delivery of supports."

The money for the Quebec asylum seekers is a $581.3 million request through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

All three departments said none of those asks are for money which has already been spent. If the funds aren't approved, the Immigration Department said it might look to dip into government contingency funds to repay the province, while the Defence Department said it could encounter problems meeting contractual obligations and keeping the projects on track.

The outcome of the vote, however, is all but a foregone conclusion. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters last week his party would vote the supplementary estimates through, since there's additional money for the government's new dental care program — $317 million worth.

MORE National ARTICLES

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.
Court documents filed in the case of a Pakistani man arrested in Quebec for an alleged plot to kill Jews in New York City reveal the RCMP didn't have enough evidence to hold him in Canada. The RCMP arrested Muhammad Shahzeb Khan on Sept. 4 in Ormstown, Que., as he allegedly prepared to cross the nearby border into the United States.

RCMP feared they didn't have enough evidence to hold terror suspect sought by U.S.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study
Crackdowns on short-term rentals in British Columbia have effectively reduced rents by 5.7 per cent, saving tenants more than $600 million last year, says a report led by the Canada Research Chair in Urban Governance at McGill University. That figure is the result of municipal restrictions, in particular requirements that short-term rental units must be located within the operator's principal residence.

B.C. short-term rental restrictions reducing rents, saving tenants millions: study

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

C-T scanners at Canadian airports
C-T scanners are being put to use at Canada's airports for security screening, meaning travellers can soon leave their liquids, medical devices and large electronics in their carry-ons.  The Canadian Air Transport Security Authority made the announcement in Vancouver today, where the first installation of the new technology is in place. 

C-T scanners at Canadian airports

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash
No one was seriously hurt when four trucks were involved in a crash on Highway 97 near Prince George. Police say it happened yesterday near the Davie East Forest Service Road. 

4 trucks involved in Prince George crash

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry
A Conservative MP who was targeted by Beijing told a federal inquiry Wednesday that Canada has become "a playground" for foreign interference.  Michael Chong, the Tory foreign affairs critic, said the federal government should shed its culture of secrecy and disclose more information about threats to better inform the public. 

Canada has become 'playground' for foreign interference, Tory MP Chong tells inquiry

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits
The Liberal government will slash the number of internationalstudent visas it processes by another 10 per cent. The government says the new target for 2025 and 2026 will be 437,000 permits. In 2024 the target was 485,000 permits.

Ottawa announces it's further reducing the number of international student permits