Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 10 Dec, 2024 10:55 AM
  • Parliament set to hold an 11th hour vote on $21B in government spending

Members of Parliament are set to vote on a government request for billions of dollars in funding as the clock ticks down on a deadline.

Last month, the Liberals asked Parliament to approve $21.6 billion in spending through the supplementary estimates.

The money will go to fund the First Nations child and family services program, and to compensate the Quebec government for services for asylum seekers, among other programs.

But there had been uncertainty over whether the vote would even happen before Tuesday's deadline.

Parliament has been paralyzed for months as the Conservatives press the Liberals to hand over documents relating to hundreds of millions of dollars of misspending on a green-tech fund.

The issue is the focus of an ongoing privilege debate, which the Conservatives have pledged to keep going until they get what they want.

Privilege matters take precedence over nearly all other House affairs, so government business has been almost entirely stalled.

In a ruling last week, citing House of Commons rules and procedures, Speaker Greg Fergus said he would exercise his authority to pause the privilege debate so that the vote on government spending can proceed.

Supplementary estimates have to be voted on by Dec. 10, or the government wouldn't have authority to spend additional money.

The debate is set to happen Tuesday evening, and the spending might not go to a vote until Wednesday morning. Per new procedure rules adopted back in February, the government can suspend a sitting day at midnight, pausing proceedings until 9 a.m. the following day if debate on a spending matter isn't finished.

"Oh gosh, I don't want to predetermine anything. I don't want to tempt fate or the universe," government House leader Karina Gould told reporters on Monday when asked how she thinks the vote might play out.

"I'm looking forward to having the vote. There's a lot of really good things in there for Canadians, and it's important we get this done. This is what Parliament is here for."

Among other asks in the supplementary estimates is $561 million for the Department of National Defence for its Canadian multi-mission aircraft project.

"This funding is needed now for quarterly payment under the delivery plan we have with the United States government for the acquisition of up to 16 P-8A Poseidon aircraft," a Defence Department spokesperson said in a statement.

The P-8A Poseidons are to replace Canada’s current maritime patrol aircraft, the CP-140 Aurora, which have been in service for more than 40 years.

"We are expecting first delivery of the aircraft in 2026," a department spokesperson said.

The First Nations child and family services program ask is for $955.2 million, which Indigenous Services Canada says is "to ensure continued compliance with Canadian Human Rights Tribunal orders and allow the continued delivery of supports."

The money for the Quebec asylum seekers is a $581.3 million request through Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada.

All three departments said none of those asks are for money which has already been spent. If the funds aren't approved, the Immigration Department said it might look to dip into government contingency funds to repay the province, while the Defence Department said it could encounter problems meeting contractual obligations and keeping the projects on track.

The outcome of the vote, however, is all but a foregone conclusion. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh told reporters last week his party would vote the supplementary estimates through, since there's additional money for the government's new dental care program — $317 million worth.

MORE National ARTICLES

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister
British Columbia Health Minister Adrian Dix says minimum nurse-to-patient ratios meant to improve care and strengthen the health-care system have now been established for most hospital settings. He says the nurse-to-patient ratios have been determined for more hospital settings, including emergency departments, maternity units and operating rooms.

Nurse-patient ratios at B.C. hospitals set to expand in fall, says health minister

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price
Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre has confirmed he will ask the other opposition parties to bring down the Liberal government next week with a non-confidence motion. A Conservative spokesperson said the motion will simply say the House has no confidence in Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his government.

Conservatives' non-confidence motion will make no mention of carbon price

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says
Premier David Eby says new account control measures for young Instagram users introduced Tuesday by social media giant Meta are the "minimum" expected of tech companies to keep kids safe online. The parent company of Instagram says users in Canada and elsewhere under 18 will have their accounts set to private by default starting Tuesday, restricting who can send messages, among other parental controls and settings.

Account tweaks for young Instagram users 'minimum' expected by B.C., David Eby says

Targeted stabbing in Langley

Targeted stabbing in Langley
R-C-M-P in Langley are investigating a stabbing that sent a 26-year-old man to hospital with serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Mounties say officers responded to a stabbing report in the 203-hundred block of Douglas Crescent just after 8:15 a-m this morning.

Targeted stabbing in Langley

Activist sues India in U.S. court over alleged plot that killed B.C. Sikh leader

Activist sues India in U.S. court over alleged plot that killed B.C. Sikh leader
Gurpatwant Singh Pannun, with the group Sikhs for Justice, says the civil lawsuit in the U.S. district court for southern New York is aimed at holding the Indian government accountable for alleged involvement in the shooting death of Hardeep Singh Nijjar in Surrey last year and a plot on Pannun soon after. The allegations have not been proven in court, and the Indian Embassy in Washington, D.C., has not responded to a request for comment.

Activist sues India in U.S. court over alleged plot that killed B.C. Sikh leader

Calgary man sentenced to six years in prison for sharing terrorism videos on TikTok

Calgary man sentenced to six years in prison for sharing terrorism videos on TikTok
A Calgary man who admitted to sharing Islamic State recruitment videos and propaganda on TikTok has been sentenced to six years in prison. Zakarya Rida Hussein, 20, was sentenced in court Friday after he earlier pleaded guilty to one of four terrorism-related charges.

Calgary man sentenced to six years in prison for sharing terrorism videos on TikTok