Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil
About 800 litres of light hydraulic oil have spilled into the sea from a BC Ferries vessel after one of its propellers fell off this week. BC Ferries says the type of oil leaked "disperses quickly in the marine environment" and no oil sheens have been detected as a result of the spill from the 60-year-old Queen of New Westminster.

Propeller falls off BC Ferries vessel, spilling 800 litres of oil

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help
A 15-year-old girl is in hospital with serious injuries after she was lit on fire at a Saskatoon high school, police said Thursday. Sgt. Ken Kane told reporters that a school resource officer, who was at Evan Hardy Collegiate for a different matter, apprehended a 14-year-old girl as a suspect.

Girl, 15, lit on fire at Saskatoon high school, staff injured trying to help

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say
Canadian police forces have been using drones for many years, but scrutiny of their use is lacking, especially as the technology has evolved, privacy and surveillance researchers say.  Their concerns come after Vancouver's Chief Const. Adam Palmer revealed that investigators deployed drones to locate a suspect in a pair of gruesome stranger attacks in the city's downtown on Wednesday, that left one man dead and another with a severed hand.

Drones helped in big Vancouver arrest. It's time for policy scrutiny, researchers say

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say
Public health agencies are encouraging people who received a first dose of mpox vaccine over the last two years to make sure they get a second dose. Many people at risk for mpox exposure got vaccinated in Canada beginning in spring 2022, when a global outbreak of the virus was declared, Canada's chief public health officer said in a recent interview with The Canadian Press.

Many people at risk never got their 2nd mpox vaccine dose, public health agencies say

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use
The New Democrats included stock images from Russia and Israel in a recent high-profile video, weeks after the party criticized the Conservatives for using non-Canadian images in their content. NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh announced in a video message Wednesday he was ending a supply and confidence deal with the Liberal government, while accusing Conservative policies of hurting Canadians, including retirees and families.

NDP used stock images from Russia, Israel after decrying Tories' foreign content use

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs
China has launched a complaint against Canada at the World Trade Organization over recently announced tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles, aluminum and steel. The Ministry of Commerce announcement of the filing comes after a promise earlier this week it would do so.

China launches WTO complaint against Canada over EV, aluminum and steel tariffs