Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 20 Nov, 2024 05:36 PM
  • Parole board 'working' to have Bernardo victims' families attend hearing in-person

The Parole Board of Canada says it is now working to allow victims’ families to attend Paul Bernardo's parole hearing and deliver their victim impact statements in person.

A lawyer representing the families of two teenage girls murdered by notorious killer and serial rapist Paul Bernardo said they had been denied the right to deliver their statements in person at Bernardo's upcoming parole hearing. The issue was raised by Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre during question period in the House of Commons Wednesday.

However, in a statement late Wednesday, the parole board it is now "currently working to accommodate the in-person presentation of statements by victims" who wish to appear at the Nov. 26 hearing.

In a letter sent to the Parole Board of Canada chairperson and others, lawyer Tim Danson had said he was recently informed the victims' families would not be able to attend the hearing at the medium-security La Macaza Institution in Quebec because the board was "unable to ensure safety and security of all hearing attendees."

Danson had said the families demanded the hearing be adjourned to next month or some other date so they and their lawyers can travel to La Macaza and read their victim impact statements in person.

In its statement, the parole board said it takes a wide range of factors into consideration when scheduling hearings, including the board’s "ability to accommodate all observers in an institutional hearing room, to ensure the safe proximity of all attendees during the hearing, or operational considerations such as hearing management."

It said it "makes every effort to accommodate a victim’s requested method of attendance." The statement added that all victims’ statements carry the same weight, whether they are delivered in person or not, and noted that most of its hearings are held virtually.

Bernardo was transferred from the maximum-security Millhaven Institution in Ontario to the medium-security La Macaza last year, a decision that prompted public outcry.

Bernardo, who is designated as a dangerous offender, is serving an indeterminate life sentence for the kidnapping, sexual assault and murder of 15-year-old Kristen French and 14-year-old Leslie Mahaffy in the early 1990s near St. Catharines, Ont.

He was also convicted of manslaughter in the December 1990 death of his then-wife Karla Homolka's 15-year-old sister, Tammy.

In a statement, a spokesperson for federal Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the Parole Board, as a quasi-judicial body, makes its decisions independently.

"Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, who continue to live with the trauma caused by this individual’s abominable crimes," LeBlanc's press secretary Gabriel Brunet wrote.

Speaking to reporters on Parliament Hill on Wednesday morning, Conservative MP Frank Caputo said the decision to deny the families the right to attend was "so wrong on so many levels."

"Why is it that the safety and security of the jail in this instance is preventing people from exercising their rights under the Victims Bill of Rights?" said Caputo, one of the party's critics for justice and public safety.

The federal ombudsperson for victims of crime, Benjamin Roebuck, said in a statement that victims’ preferences about attending a hearing in person or virtually are taken into account, but not guaranteed.

"Parole hearings happen within highly secured environments, so if there are specific safety or security concerns that have been used to determine the format of a hearing, they should be clearly explained," Roebuck said.

MORE National ARTICLES

Puppy theft in Kelowna

Puppy theft in Kelowna
Police in Kelowna are on the lookout after an identified suspect grabbed a puppy out walking with its owner and fled. Kelowna R-C-M-P say the theft happened on the night of August 31st, when a "middle-aged, bald Caucasian male" in a grey vehicle pulled up next to the owner and the puppy walking on Royal Pine Drive.

Puppy theft in Kelowna

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says
A neuroimaging technique called functional near infrared spectroscopy (fNIRS) was used to shine light waves into three patients' brains to find activity in response to different commands, said a study published recently in The Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS) journal.

Canadian researchers find signs of awareness in comatose patient, study says

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August
Home sales in Greater Vancouver fell 17.1 per cent in August from the same period last year, according to the latest statistics. Greater Vancouver Realtors says there were a total of 19-hundred-and-four homes sold in the region last month, down from almost 23-hundred last year.

Home sales fell in Vancouver in August

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief
Chief Constable Adam Palmer says the suspect, a 34-year-old White Rock man, appears to be "very troubled" and police are looking into whether mental health was a factor in this morning's "horrific" attacks. He says the man, who had a history of assaulting police and social workers, was tracked down with the help of a drone and arrested at Habitat Island, near the Olympic Village.

Suspect in deadly Vancouver stranger attacks was on probation: VPD chief

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events
Parkland Corp. has released a review into an unplanned shutdown of its Burnaby, B.C., refinery in January that blanketed parts of Metro Vancouver with a foul stench. The review released last week says unusually cold weather triggered a series of events leading to the release of a noxious odour that generated more than 100 complaints from residents.

Review of B.C. refinery stench says cold snap triggered series of events

Man sentenced in child pornography

Man sentenced in child pornography
A New Westminster man has been sentenced to 10 months in jail after pleading guilty to possession child pornography. Police say 51-year-old Scott Harrison was originally arrested in April 2020 after officers begun investigating a case of child porn being uploaded onto the Internet.

Man sentenced in child pornography