Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Over $100000 Surrendered To BC Civil Forfeiture After Investigation By Surrey RCMP

    Over $100000 Surrendered To BC Civil Forfeiture After Investigation By Surrey RCMP
    As a result of a successful investigation by the Surrey RCMP’s Property Crime Target Team (PCTT), a large retail theft operation has been shut down and a sizable amount of offence related property has been forfeited by the BC Civil Forfeiture Office (CFO).

    Over $100000 Surrendered To BC Civil Forfeiture After Investigation By Surrey RCMP

    WATCH: Black Family Asked To Show Id For Using Pool In Their Surrey Townhouse Complex

    WATCH: Black Family Asked To Show Id For Using Pool In Their Surrey Townhouse Complex
    A Surrey woman says she wants to help educate the public about racism after a member of her townhouse complex's staff requested her family show ID when they were using the pool.

    WATCH: Black Family Asked To Show Id For Using Pool In Their Surrey Townhouse Complex

    35-Yr-Old Victim Seriously Injured In Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C.

    35-Yr-Old Victim Seriously Injured In Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C.
    RCMP say the man was in a home in a Guildford neighbourhood at about 10:45 Sunday night when he was attacked.

    35-Yr-Old Victim Seriously Injured In Targeted Shooting In Surrey, B.C.

    Toronto Motorcyclists May Soon Be Allowed To Drive Between Lanes Of Traffic

    Toronto Motorcyclists May Soon Be Allowed To Drive Between Lanes Of Traffic
    The City of Toronto is studying the possibility of allowing motorcyclists to move between lanes of traffic while at a red light, a practice that advocates say would increase safety for those on bikes.

    Toronto Motorcyclists May Soon Be Allowed To Drive Between Lanes Of Traffic

    2008 Beheading On Greyhound Bus Cited For Drop In Saskatchewan Bus Ridership

    2008 Beheading On Greyhound Bus Cited For Drop In Saskatchewan Bus Ridership
    Vince Li, who now goes by the name Will Baker, beheaded and cannibalized fellow passenger Tim McLean on a Greyhound bus that was bound for Winnipeg on July 30, 2008.

    2008 Beheading On Greyhound Bus Cited For Drop In Saskatchewan Bus Ridership

    ‘I’m Not Being Greedy:' Nova Scotia Aunt Says Nephew Doesn't Deserve Half Of Lottery Jackpot

    ‘I’m Not Being Greedy:' Nova Scotia Aunt Says Nephew Doesn't Deserve Half Of Lottery Jackpot
    A Nova Scotian woman at the centre of a family feud over a $1.2-million dollar lottery win is staunchly defending her bid to keep her nephew away from his share of the jackpot — even though both of their names are on the winning ticket.

    ‘I’m Not Being Greedy:' Nova Scotia Aunt Says Nephew Doesn't Deserve Half Of Lottery Jackpot