Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    It Was My Dream To Beat Top Ranking Players: Manika Batra

    It Was My Dream To Beat Top Ranking Players: Manika Batra
    India's star tennis player, Manika Batra's life has changed forever after she defeated world number four, Feng Tianwei as well as Zhou Yihan, in the finals of the Commonwealth Games this year. 

    It Was My Dream To Beat Top Ranking Players: Manika Batra

    Transport Canada To Make Seatbelts Mandatory On New Highway Buses By 2020

    Transport Canada To Make Seatbelts Mandatory On New Highway Buses By 2020
    The federal department says they will make seatbelts mandatory on medium and large highway buses starting Sept. 1, 2020.

    Transport Canada To Make Seatbelts Mandatory On New Highway Buses By 2020

    Justin Trudeau Insists Canada Spending Enough On Defence, As Trump Declares Victory At NATO

    At a news conference wrapping up the two-day NATO summit in Brussels, Trudeau was pressed to provide more details about the U.S. president's sudden insistence that allies have agreed to spend more — and to do it more quickly.

    Justin Trudeau Insists Canada Spending Enough On Defence, As Trump Declares Victory At NATO

    Toronto Will Add 200 Officers To Night Shift To Curb Shootings

    Toronto plans to add 200 frontline officers to the night shift over the summer in an effort to reduce gun violence, the city's police chief said Thursday while the mayor promised new funds for community programs to help at-risk youth.

    Toronto Will Add 200 Officers To Night Shift To Curb Shootings

    New Allegations Surface Against Nova Scotia-Based Buddhist Leader Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche

    New Allegations Surface Against Nova Scotia-Based Buddhist Leader Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche
    HALIFAX — The spiritual leader of one of the largest Buddhist organizations in the western world is facing fresh sexual misconduct allegations as a Halifax law firm prepares to launch an independent investigation into claims against him.

    New Allegations Surface Against Nova Scotia-Based Buddhist Leader Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche

    Toronto Police Seek First-Degree Murder Suspect In Downtown Shooting Of Two Men

    Toronto police have issued a warrant for the arrest of a 22-year-old man in the fatal shooting of two men associated with the local rap scene.

    Toronto Police Seek First-Degree Murder Suspect In Downtown Shooting Of Two Men