Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Police Identify Two Men Wanted In Toronto Playground Shooting

    Police Identify Two Men Wanted In Toronto Playground Shooting
    TORONTO — Police have identified two men wanted in connection with a daylight shooting at a Toronto playground that sent two young sisters to hospital.

    Police Identify Two Men Wanted In Toronto Playground Shooting

    Crown Recommends 150-Year Prison Term For Quebec City Mosque Shooter Alexandre Bissonnette

    Crown Recommends 150-Year Prison Term For Quebec City Mosque Shooter Alexandre Bissonnette
    The Crown is recommending Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnettebe sentenced to the longest prison term in Canadian history.  

    Crown Recommends 150-Year Prison Term For Quebec City Mosque Shooter Alexandre Bissonnette

    B.C. Groups File Response To Government's Fight Against Solitary Confinement

    B.C. Groups File Response To Government's Fight Against Solitary Confinement
    The B.C. Civil Liberties Association and the John Howard Society of Canada have filed a response to the federal government's appeal of a court ruling that said indefinite solitary confinement of prisoners is unconstitutional and causes permanent harm.

    B.C. Groups File Response To Government's Fight Against Solitary Confinement

    Human Remains Found Near Ucluelet, B.C., Police Major Crimes Unit Investigates

    Human Remains Found Near Ucluelet, B.C., Police Major Crimes Unit Investigates
    Police are investigating after the remains of two people were found near Ucluelet, B.C., late last week.

    Human Remains Found Near Ucluelet, B.C., Police Major Crimes Unit Investigates

    Border Officials Argue B.C. Man's Facebook Posts Threat To Canada's Security

    Border Officials Argue B.C. Man's Facebook Posts Threat To Canada's Security
    Othman Hamdan's lawyer has argued his client's online views amounted to freedom of expression as guaranteed by the charter.  

    Border Officials Argue B.C. Man's Facebook Posts Threat To Canada's Security

    Man 'Very Cold,' But Alive After Rescue By BC Ferries Crew Off West Vancouver

    Man 'Very Cold,' But Alive After Rescue By BC Ferries Crew Off West Vancouver
    Crew members aboard the British Columbia ferry Queen of Cowichan saved a man who went overboard as the ship was nearing port in West Vancouver.

    Man 'Very Cold,' But Alive After Rescue By BC Ferries Crew Off West Vancouver