Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Three Missing After Five Thrown Into Water Off Tofino, B.C., As Boat Sinks

    Three Missing After Five Thrown Into Water Off Tofino, B.C., As Boat Sinks
    A search is underway in the waters off the west coast of Vancouver Island after a small boat carrying five people went down early Friday.

    Three Missing After Five Thrown Into Water Off Tofino, B.C., As Boat Sinks

    Crown Appealing Acquittal Of Driver Who Killed Doctor Alphonsus Hui In Vancouver

    Crown Appealing Acquittal Of Driver Who Killed Doctor Alphonsus Hui In Vancouver
    VANCOUVER — An appeal has been launched after a British Columbia man was acquitted of dangerous driving in a crash that killed a doctor in Vancouver.

    Crown Appealing Acquittal Of Driver Who Killed Doctor Alphonsus Hui In Vancouver

    Toronto Boy, 13, Charged With First-Degree Murder After Cyclist Run Down, Stabbed: Police

    Toronto Boy, 13, Charged With First-Degree Murder After Cyclist Run Down, Stabbed: Police
    Aaron Rankine-Wright, 19, was struck late Saturday afternoon, three males got out of the vehicle and allegedly began assaulting him as he lay on the ground.

    Toronto Boy, 13, Charged With First-Degree Murder After Cyclist Run Down, Stabbed: Police

    Stolen Diamond-Studded Golden Eagle In B.C. Worth $930,450, Not $7M, Owner Claims In Lawsuit

    Stolen Diamond-Studded Golden Eagle In B.C. Worth $930,450, Not $7M, Owner Claims In Lawsuit
    Ron Shore's company Forgotten Treasures International Inc. has filed a lawsuit in B.C. Supreme Court against several insurers for denying his claim over the theft of the eagle.

    Stolen Diamond-Studded Golden Eagle In B.C. Worth $930,450, Not $7M, Owner Claims In Lawsuit

    Police Need Policy On 'Grievous Bodily Harm' Calls: B.C. Coroner's Inquest

    Police Need Policy On 'Grievous Bodily Harm' Calls: B.C. Coroner's Inquest
     Jurors who heard this week about a woman who spent four days paralyzed and dying inside her home in rural British Columbia say police and their dispatchers need to review how they handle serious calls.

    Police Need Policy On 'Grievous Bodily Harm' Calls: B.C. Coroner's Inquest

    Woman Must Pay Musician Ex-Boyfriend $350k For Sabotaging Coveted Opportunity

    Woman Must Pay Musician Ex-Boyfriend $350k For Sabotaging Coveted Opportunity
    TORONTO — A woman who sabotaged her boyfriend's highly coveted career opportunity apparently because she feared he would leave her for the United States has been ordered to pay him $350,000 in damages.

    Woman Must Pay Musician Ex-Boyfriend $350k For Sabotaging Coveted Opportunity