Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Tories, NDP In Virtual Dead Heat As Ontario Election Looms; Liberals Well Back

    Tories, NDP In Virtual Dead Heat As Ontario Election Looms; Liberals Well Back
    TORONTO — Ontario's Progressive Conservatives under Doug Ford are set to head into voting day Thursday essentially tied with Andrea Horwath's New Democrats, a new poll suggests.

    Tories, NDP In Virtual Dead Heat As Ontario Election Looms; Liberals Well Back

    Looking To The Sky: B.C. Company Says It Is Sucking Carbon From Air, Making Fuel

    Looking To The Sky: B.C. Company Says It Is Sucking Carbon From Air, Making Fuel
    It sounds like spinning straw into gold: suck carbon dioxide from the air where it's contributing to climate change and turn it into fuel for cars, trucks and jets.

    Looking To The Sky: B.C. Company Says It Is Sucking Carbon From Air, Making Fuel

    Second Chinese Tourist Dies Following Bus Crash In Eastern Ontario

    Second Chinese Tourist Dies Following Bus Crash In Eastern Ontario
    Provincial police say a second Chinese tourist among 24 people injured in a bus crash in eastern Ontario on Monday has died.

    Second Chinese Tourist Dies Following Bus Crash In Eastern Ontario

    Kent Hehr Won't Return To Cabinet But Will Stay In Liberal Caucus After Investigation

    Kent Hehr Won't Return To Cabinet But Will Stay In Liberal Caucus After Investigation
    Former cabinet minister Kent Hehr says he will remain a member of the Liberal caucus following an investigation into allegations of inappropriate conduct with women — although he's not returning to the government's inner circle.

    Kent Hehr Won't Return To Cabinet But Will Stay In Liberal Caucus After Investigation

    Military Bomb Sat In Manitoba Basement For More Than 25 Years: RCMP

    Military Bomb Sat In Manitoba Basement For More Than 25 Years: RCMP
    When Manitoba RCMP put out a call for unwanted firearms and ammunition, they weren't expecting to come across a decades-old military bomb being stored in a basement.

    Military Bomb Sat In Manitoba Basement For More Than 25 Years: RCMP

    Police: Case Of 2 Men Missing In B.C. Since May 16 Considered Suspicious

    Police: Case Of 2 Men Missing In B.C. Since May 16 Considered Suspicious
    UCLUELET, B.C. — Police on Vancouver Island say the disappearance of two men who were last seen on May 16 is now considered suspicious and the case has been handed over to the Vancouver Island Integrated Major Crime Unit.

    Police: Case Of 2 Men Missing In B.C. Since May 16 Considered Suspicious