Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Kathleen Wynne Fights For Liberals' Survival After Admitting Party Has Lost Race

    Kathleen Wynne Fights For Liberals' Survival After Admitting Party Has Lost Race
    TORONTO — In the final days of a volatile election campaign, Kathleen Wynne went from vying to stay on as Ontario's premier to fighting for her party's survival.

    Kathleen Wynne Fights For Liberals' Survival After Admitting Party Has Lost Race

    Nova Scotian Facing Child Exploitation Charges Arrested Near U.S. Border

    Nova Scotian Facing Child Exploitation Charges Arrested Near U.S. Border
    U.S. border patrol officers have charged three Canadians with unlawful entry after they were seen walking in northern Maine, including one man facing child exploitation charges in Nova Scotia.

    Nova Scotian Facing Child Exploitation Charges Arrested Near U.S. Border

    Man Who Killed Armstrong, B.C., Woman Gets Life Without Parole For 17 Years

    Man Who Killed Armstrong, B.C., Woman Gets Life Without Parole For 17 Years
    VERNON, B.C. — The man who killed 18-year-old Taylor Van Diest from Armstrong, B.C., has been sentenced to life in prison without chance of parole for 17 years.

    Man Who Killed Armstrong, B.C., Woman Gets Life Without Parole For 17 Years

    Honorary Degree For B.C. Elder's Efforts To Keep Her Indigenous Language Alive

    Honorary Degree For B.C. Elder's Efforts To Keep Her Indigenous Language Alive
    She's the last surviving fluent speaker of her Indigenous language, but Elizabeth Phillips says she's more confident now than ever that her mother tongue will survive.

    Honorary Degree For B.C. Elder's Efforts To Keep Her Indigenous Language Alive

    Ferrari Ridiculed After Posting Image Of 'Montreal' Showing Toronto Skyline

    Ferrari Ridiculed After Posting Image Of 'Montreal' Showing Toronto Skyline
    MONTREAL — Ferrari's racing division was ridiculed online Tuesday after it tweeted about this weekend's Formula One race in Montreal using an image of downtown Toronto.

    Ferrari Ridiculed After Posting Image Of 'Montreal' Showing Toronto Skyline

    Five Dead, Including 3 Sisters, After Two-Vehicle Collision Near Town Of Millet, South Of Edmonton

    Five Dead, Including 3 Sisters, After Two-Vehicle Collision Near Town Of Millet, South Of Edmonton
    Wetaskiwin RCMP said the collision happened at Highway 2A and Township Road 472, about five kilometres south of Millet, Alta., around 4 p.m. Tuesday.

    Five Dead, Including 3 Sisters, After Two-Vehicle Collision Near Town Of Millet, South Of Edmonton