Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    One Of Oldest Newfoundlanders Dead At 108: 'She Lived Each Day To The Fullest'

    One Of Oldest Newfoundlanders Dead At 108: 'She Lived Each Day To The Fullest'
    An obituary says Mary Catherine Power died in Corner Brook on Wednesday.

    One Of Oldest Newfoundlanders Dead At 108: 'She Lived Each Day To The Fullest'

    Appeal Court Agrees With Sentence For Edmonton Teacher Who Had Sex With Girl

    Appeal Court Agrees With Sentence For Edmonton Teacher Who Had Sex With Girl
    Alberta's highest court has upheld a 10-year sentence for an Edmonton teacher who had a sex with a student.

    Appeal Court Agrees With Sentence For Edmonton Teacher Who Had Sex With Girl

    Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Condemns Blast At Mississauga's Indian Restaurant

    Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Condemns Blast At Mississauga's Indian Restaurant
    Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh on Thursday condemned the blast in an Indian restaurant in suburban Toronto, calling it as a "cowardly act of terrorism".

    Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh Condemns Blast At Mississauga's Indian Restaurant

    Saskatchewan To Allow People To Remove Gender Designation From Birth Certificate

    Saskatchewan To Allow People To Remove Gender Designation From Birth Certificate
    SASKATOON — A Saskatchewan court has ordered the province to allow gender markers to be removed from birth certificates.

    Saskatchewan To Allow People To Remove Gender Designation From Birth Certificate

    Abbotsford High School Teacher HENRY KANG Charged With Sexual Offences Involving Two Youths

    Abbotsford High School Teacher HENRY KANG Charged With Sexual Offences Involving Two Youths
    Police in Abbotsford, B.C., say sex-related charges have been laid against a man who teaches at two high schools in the Fraser Valley city.

    Abbotsford High School Teacher HENRY KANG Charged With Sexual Offences Involving Two Youths

    15 People Injured, 3 Critically, After Explosion At Mississauga's 'Bombay Bhel' Restaurant

    15 People Injured, 3 Critically, After Explosion At Mississauga's 'Bombay Bhel' Restaurant
    Peel Region police say "two suspects attended the scene," detonated the devices and fled the scene.

    15 People Injured, 3 Critically, After Explosion At Mississauga's 'Bombay Bhel' Restaurant