Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Sleeping Woman Sexually Assaulted In Her Car At Surrey's Tannery Park: RCMP

    Sleeping Woman Sexually Assaulted In Her Car At Surrey's Tannery Park: RCMP
    Surrey RCMP is advising the public of an alleged sexual assault that this past weekend and are asking anyone with information to contact investigators.

    Sleeping Woman Sexually Assaulted In Her Car At Surrey's Tannery Park: RCMP

    Surrey RCMP Advising The Public Of An On-Going Sexual Assault Investigation In Newton

    Surrey RCMP Advising The Public Of An On-Going Sexual Assault Investigation In Newton
    The suspect is described as a South Asian male between 35-40 years old, 5'10 tall, with medium length hair, and a clean shaven face.

    Surrey RCMP Advising The Public Of An On-Going Sexual Assault Investigation In Newton

    Surrey Police Release Composite Sketch Of A South Asian Male In 2nd Sexual Assault Case

    Surrey Police Release Composite Sketch Of A South Asian Male In 2nd Sexual Assault Case
    Surrey RCMP is advising the public about an ongoing sexual assault investigation and is releasing a composite sketch of a suspect.

    Surrey Police Release Composite Sketch Of A South Asian Male In 2nd Sexual Assault Case

    Surrey RCMP Release Composite Sketch Of South Asian Suspect Who Approached Child

    Surrey RCMP Release Composite Sketch Of South Asian Suspect Who Approached Child
    The suspect is described as a Punjabi male, in his 40’s or younger in age, with a trimmed beard which had grey patches, and wearing a blue turban with orange underneath.

    Surrey RCMP Release Composite Sketch Of South Asian Suspect Who Approached Child

    South Asian Suspect Wanted for Break and Enter at Fertility Clinic in Brampton

    South Asian Suspect Wanted for Break and Enter at Fertility Clinic in Brampton
    Investigators from the 22 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau are investigating a commercial break and enter in the City of Brampton.

    South Asian Suspect Wanted for Break and Enter at Fertility Clinic in Brampton

    JASPAUL UPPAL, Third Male In Assault On Autistic Male In Mississauga, Surrenders To Police

    JASPAUL UPPAL, Third Male In Assault On Autistic Male In Mississauga, Surrenders To Police
    Investigators from the 12 Division Criminal Investigation Bureau have arrested a third male responsible for a vicious assault on a male with autism, in the City of Mississauga.

    JASPAUL UPPAL, Third Male In Assault On Autistic Male In Mississauga, Surrenders To Police