Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    WATCH Racist Tirade Caught On Video At Lethbridge Denny's Restaurant Goes Viral

    WATCH Racist Tirade Caught On Video At Lethbridge Denny's Restaurant Goes Viral
    Monir Omerzai was still stewing weeks after a fellow diner at a  Denny's spewed a racist tirade at him and his friends.

    WATCH Racist Tirade Caught On Video At Lethbridge Denny's Restaurant Goes Viral

    TELUS Investing $65 Million To Connect Delta, Tilbury And Annacis Island Homes

    TELUS Investing $65 Million To Connect Delta, Tilbury And Annacis Island Homes
    Direct fibre connection will dramatically boost data capacity, providing local homes and businesses access to the gigabit-enabled TELUS PureFibre network

    TELUS Investing $65 Million To Connect Delta, Tilbury And Annacis Island Homes

    Victoria Night Club Hires 'Consent Captain' To Help Prevent Sexual Assaults

    Victoria Night Club Hires 'Consent Captain'  To Help Prevent Sexual Assaults
    VICTORIA — A Victoria event venue has hired a so-called consent captain to help prevent sexual harassment and assaults as bars and nightclubs across Canada grapple with how to respond to the #MeToo movement.

    Victoria Night Club Hires 'Consent Captain' To Help Prevent Sexual Assaults

    B.C. Introduces $5 Million To Playground Fund, Removes Parent Fundraising Need

    B.C. Introduces $5 Million To Playground Fund, Removes Parent Fundraising Need
    Dozens Of Schools Will Have New Government-Funded Playgrounds By The Time Students Return To Class In September

    B.C. Introduces $5 Million To Playground Fund, Removes Parent Fundraising Need

    Mountie In British Columbia Charged With Assault After Alleged Incident: Crown

    Mountie In British Columbia Charged With Assault After Alleged Incident: Crown
    VICTORIA — An assault charge has been approved against an RCMP officer in British Columbia.

    Mountie In British Columbia Charged With Assault After Alleged Incident: Crown

    B.C. Police Watchdog Launches Investigations In Chilliwack, Surrey

    VANCOUVER — British Columbia's police watchdog has sent investigators to probe two separate incidents where women were taken to hospital following run-ins with Mounties.

    B.C. Police Watchdog Launches Investigations In Chilliwack, Surrey