Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Prominent Calgary Chef Michael John Noble, Charged With Sexual Assaulting Employee

    Prominent Calgary Chef Michael John Noble, Charged With Sexual Assaulting Employee
    Police allege a man followed an employee into a bathroom during a social gathering in January in downtown Calgary.

    Prominent Calgary Chef Michael John Noble, Charged With Sexual Assaulting Employee

    Ottawa Doctor Facing Dozens Of Charges Of Sexual Assault, Voyeurism: Police

    Police say 56-year-old Vincent Nadon of Chelsea, Que., is due in court today to face 43 counts of sexual assault and 40 counts of voyeurism related to 40 female complainants.

    Ottawa Doctor Facing Dozens Of Charges Of Sexual Assault, Voyeurism: Police

    Class Action Lawsuit In Works In Calgary Young Canadians Sex Abuse Case

    Class Action Lawsuit In Works In Calgary Young Canadians Sex Abuse Case
    A law firm is encouraging victims in a sex abuse case to be part of a lawsuit against the man convicted of the crimes and the Calgary Stampede Foundation.

    Class Action Lawsuit In Works In Calgary Young Canadians Sex Abuse Case

    6 Quebec Seminary Students Aged 12 To 14 Arrested For Alleged Child-Porn Offences

    6 Quebec Seminary Students Aged 12 To 14 Arrested For Alleged Child-Porn Offences
    Quebec City police say they have arrested six seminary students aged between 12 and 14 for alleged possession and distribution of child pornography.

    6 Quebec Seminary Students Aged 12 To 14 Arrested For Alleged Child-Porn Offences

    Evacuation Alerts For More Homes As Officials Monitor B.C. Flood Threat

    Evacuation Alerts For More Homes As Officials Monitor B.C. Flood Threat
    The River Forecast Centre says those regions are expected to see the warmest temperatures over the next few days, speeding snowmelt into already surging rivers, and it says that warmth will be followed by rain next week.

    Evacuation Alerts For More Homes As Officials Monitor B.C. Flood Threat

    India's Sahara Group Finds Buyers For Its $600 Million Stake In New York Plaza Hotel

    India's Sahara Group Finds Buyers For Its $600 Million Stake In New York Plaza Hotel
    A Dubai investment group and a New York real estate company have reached a deal to buy the majority stake owned by Subrata Roy's Sahara Group in the New York Plaza Hotel for $600 million, according to media reports.

    India's Sahara Group Finds Buyers For Its $600 Million Stake In New York Plaza Hotel