Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    100 Kg Of Methamphetamine And 4 Kg Of Heroin Seized At Toronto Airport: CBSA

    100 Kg Of Methamphetamine And 4 Kg Of Heroin Seized At Toronto Airport: CBSA
    Canada Border Services Agency says it has made a "significant" drug seizure at Toronto's Pearson International Airport.

    100 Kg Of Methamphetamine And 4 Kg Of Heroin Seized At Toronto Airport: CBSA

    More Than 100 People Defrauded Of $6 Million In Securities Scam, RCMP Say

    More Than 100 People Defrauded Of $6 Million In Securities Scam, RCMP Say
    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police say a Toronto man is charged with defrauding more than 100 people across the country of more than $6 million.

    More Than 100 People Defrauded Of $6 Million In Securities Scam, RCMP Say

    4-Year-Old Indian-Origin New Brunswick Art Prodigy ADVAIT KOLARKAR Is Taking The Art World By Storm

    4-Year-Old Indian-Origin New Brunswick Art Prodigy  ADVAIT KOLARKAR Is Taking The Art World By Storm
    His Mother Shruti Says The Preschooler Is Already Selling His Paintings For Thousands Of Dollars And Has Had His Art Featured In Three Exhibits.

    4-Year-Old Indian-Origin New Brunswick Art Prodigy ADVAIT KOLARKAR Is Taking The Art World By Storm

    Police Investigating After Two Bodies Found In Richmond, B.C., Home

    Police officers were called for reports of gun fire in a residential neighbourhood around 2:30 a.m. Monday.

    Police Investigating After Two Bodies Found In Richmond, B.C., Home

    Health Officials, Police Dealing With Rash Of Overdoses In Vancouver, Victoria

    VANCOUVER — Health officials are warning about an increase in drug overdoses in the Vancouv...

    Health Officials, Police Dealing With Rash Of Overdoses In Vancouver, Victoria

    Floods, Mudslides Prompt Evacuation Orders, Alerts In Several Parts Of B.C.

    Seventy-four properties have been added to an evacuation order issued earlier Sunday by the Cariboo Regional District.

    Floods, Mudslides Prompt Evacuation Orders, Alerts In Several Parts Of B.C.