Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Humboldt Broncos Tribute Concert Expected To Attract Over 30 Current And Former NHLers

    Humboldt Broncos Tribute Concert Expected To Attract Over 30 Current And Former NHLers
    More than 30 current and former NHL players are expected at a tribute concert in Saskatoon tonight for the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team.

    Humboldt Broncos Tribute Concert Expected To Attract Over 30 Current And Former NHLers

    Homicide Investigators Say Suspicious Death In Surrey, B.C., Likely Targeted

    Homicide Investigators Say Suspicious Death In Surrey, B.C., Likely Targeted
    Officials with the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team held a news conference late Thursday to discuss the discovery of a body at the side of a street in a rural area of southeastern Surrey earlier in the day.

    Homicide Investigators Say Suspicious Death In Surrey, B.C., Likely Targeted

    Teen Who Helped Beat Woman To Death, Posted Video Online To Be Sentenced In June

    Teen Who Helped Beat Woman To Death, Posted Video Online To Be Sentenced In June
    A teenager who helped attack a young Manitoba woman and shared the footage of her bloody death will not learn how much time she will spend behind bars until June.

    Teen Who Helped Beat Woman To Death, Posted Video Online To Be Sentenced In June

    Vancouver's 8th Homicide Of 2018: One Man Dead After Early Morning Assault In Yaletown Park

    Vancouver's 8th Homicide Of 2018: One Man Dead After Early Morning Assault In Yaletown Park
    Vancouver has recorded its eighth homicide of the year after a man died following what police believe was an attack in a park in the city's Yaletown neighbourhood.

    Vancouver's 8th Homicide Of 2018: One Man Dead After Early Morning Assault In Yaletown Park

    Mosque Shooter Couldn't Believe Man He Shot Seven Times Survived: Fellow Inmate

    Mosque Shooter Couldn't Believe Man He Shot Seven Times Survived: Fellow Inmate
    Quebec City mosque shooter Alexandre Bissonnette told a fellow inmate he couldn't believe a man he pumped seven bullets into didn't die, a Crown prosecutor told his sentencing arguments Wednesday.

    Mosque Shooter Couldn't Believe Man He Shot Seven Times Survived: Fellow Inmate

    Van Attack Puts Spotlight On Violent Sentiment In 'INCEL' Community: Expert

    TORONTO — A message allegedly posted by the accused in Toronto's deadly van attack is shedding light on a mostly male online community that an expert says endorses violent rhetoric against women.

    Van Attack Puts Spotlight On Violent Sentiment In 'INCEL' Community: Expert