Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Surrey RCMP Arrest Two Car Theft Suspects Using Bait Car

    Surrey RCMP Arrest Two Car Theft Suspects Using Bait Car
    Surrey RCMP advises that two auto crime thieves were arrested and charges have been laid following the activation of a bait car earlier last week in Surrey.

    Surrey RCMP Arrest Two Car Theft Suspects Using Bait Car

    Cross-Border Drug Bust Results In Trafficking Charges Against B.C. Man

    Cross-Border Drug Bust Results In Trafficking Charges Against B.C. Man
    Charges have been laid against a British Columbia man who allegedly trafficked more than 100 kilograms of drugs between the United States and Canada.

    Cross-Border Drug Bust Results In Trafficking Charges Against B.C. Man

    Indian National Wins $1 Million After Buying Dubai Duty Free Raffle Tickets For 4 Years

    Indian National Wins $1 Million After Buying Dubai Duty Free Raffle Tickets For 4 Years
    S.R. Shenay is the 129th Indian national to have won $1 million since the inception of the promotion in 1999, the Khaleej Times reported on Tuesday. 

    Indian National Wins $1 Million After Buying Dubai Duty Free Raffle Tickets For 4 Years

    Homicide Team Releases Profile Of Suspected Killer Of Burnaby, B.C., Teen Marrisa Shen

    Homicide Team Releases Profile Of Suspected Killer Of Burnaby, B.C., Teen Marrisa Shen
     Homicide investigators will release an update today into the murder of a 13-year-old Burnaby, B.C., girl whose body was found in a park near her home last summer.

    Homicide Team Releases Profile Of Suspected Killer Of Burnaby, B.C., Teen Marrisa Shen

    B.C. To Limit Auto Insurance Claims, Speed Up Process To Settle Disputes

    B.C. To Limit Auto Insurance Claims, Speed Up Process To Settle Disputes
      The British Columbia government has introduced legislation that will attempt to restore the finances of the public auto insurance agency.

    B.C. To Limit Auto Insurance Claims, Speed Up Process To Settle Disputes

    'Death Road To Canada' Game Release On Hold Due To Toronto Van Attack

    'Death Road To Canada' Game Release On Hold Due To Toronto Van Attack
    Wednesday's scheduled console release of the video game "Death Road to Canada" has been delayed due to Monday's horrific van attack in Toronto.

    'Death Road To Canada' Game Release On Hold Due To Toronto Van Attack