Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Justin Trudeau Disappointed By Pope's Decision Not To Apologize For Residential Schools

    Justin Trudeau Disappointed By Pope's Decision Not To Apologize For Residential Schools
    Justin Trudeau says he is disappointed with the Pope's decision not to apologize for the Catholic Church's role in residential schools and the trauma experienced by their students.

    Justin Trudeau Disappointed By Pope's Decision Not To Apologize For Residential Schools

    Sikh Man's Turban Ripped Off And Stolen In A Racist Attack In Ottawa

    Sikh Man's Turban Ripped Off And Stolen In A Racist Attack In Ottawa
    A Sikh man in Ottawa was dragged and his turban ripped by two white men who shouted racial slurs and threatened him with a knife in an apparent racist attack

    Sikh Man's Turban Ripped Off And Stolen In A Racist Attack In Ottawa

    B.C. Government Pledges $11Million For Thousands More Diagnostic Scans By 2019

    B.C. Government Pledges $11Million For Thousands More Diagnostic Scans By 2019
    Health Minister Adrian Dix says 37,000 more MRIs will be done by this time next year in the public health-care system

    B.C. Government Pledges $11Million For Thousands More Diagnostic Scans By 2019

    Parents Of Boy Who Drowned On First Day Of School Suing Saskatoon Board, City

    Parents Of Boy Who Drowned On First Day Of School Suing Saskatoon Board, City
    Kindergarten student Ahmedsadiq Hussein Elmmiwas found in a pond near Ecole Dundonald School on Sept. 11 after the morning recess.  

    Parents Of Boy Who Drowned On First Day Of School Suing Saskatoon Board, City

    British Columbia's Economy Is Forecast To Remain Strong Through 2020

    British Columbia's Economy Is Forecast To Remain Strong Through 2020
    Central 1 Credit Union says 2017 was a year of "stellar growth" and the positive momentum will continue in B.C. for the next 24 months, despite a slower housing market.

    British Columbia's Economy Is Forecast To Remain Strong Through 2020

    Ontario Liberals Promise Free Preschool Child Care In 2020

    Ontario's Liberal government says it plans to offer free child care for thousands of preschoolers across the province starting in 2020, a promise that comes as it faces a looming spring election.

    Ontario Liberals Promise Free Preschool Child Care In 2020