Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Justin Trudeau To Issue 'Statement Of Exoneration' For Tsilhqot'in Chiefs

    OTTAWA — Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is set to exonerate six First Nations chiefs who were executed by British Columbia's colonial government more than 150 years ago.

    Justin Trudeau To Issue 'Statement Of Exoneration' For Tsilhqot'in Chiefs

    Air Canada Flight From Toronto Makes Emergency Landing In Washington

    WASHINGTON — An Air Canada flight from Toronto to Washington was forced to make an emergency landing Sunday evening after smoke was discovered in the cockpit.

    Air Canada Flight From Toronto Makes Emergency Landing In Washington

    Man Dies After He Is Hit By A Vehicle In Nanaimo, B.C., On Sunday

    Man Dies After He Is Hit By A Vehicle In Nanaimo, B.C., On Sunday
    A man has died in hospital after he was hit by a vehicle in Nanaimo early on Sunday morning.

    Man Dies After He Is Hit By A Vehicle In Nanaimo, B.C., On Sunday

    Mississauga Attack: Surrey Man Ronjot Singh Dhami Surrenders To Police

    A Lawyer For Ronjot Singh Dhami, 25, Has Said He Did Not Participate In The Three-man Attack At A Bus Station In Mississauga.  Third Man Involved In The Assault At A Mississauga Bus Station Remains Unidentified

    Mississauga Attack: Surrey Man Ronjot Singh Dhami Surrenders To Police

    61-Year-Old Woman Suffers 'Vicious' Assault On Surrey Bus, Suspects Believed To Be South Asians

    61-Year-Old Woman Suffers 'Vicious' Assault On Surrey Bus, Suspects Believed To Be South Asians
    Transit police are looking for witnesses in the alleged violent assault of a 61-year-old woman following a dispute over seats on a Surrey, B.C., bus last week.

    61-Year-Old Woman Suffers 'Vicious' Assault On Surrey Bus, Suspects Believed To Be South Asians

    Police Arrest Parmvir Singh Chahil Wanted In Beating Of Autistic Man In Mississauga

    Police Arrest Parmvir Singh Chahil Wanted In Beating Of Autistic Man In Mississauga
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — Police say they've arrested a suspect wanted in connection with the beating of an autistic man at a Mississauga Ont., bus station, but are still seeking two others. 

    Police Arrest Parmvir Singh Chahil Wanted In Beating Of Autistic Man In Mississauga