Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    U.S. Plaintiffs Fire Back At Omar Khadr Defence Over Damages-Award Enforcement

    U.S. Plaintiffs Fire Back At Omar Khadr Defence Over Damages-Award Enforcement
    Canadian courts must accept the agreed statement of facts that underpinned Khadr's war-crimes conviction in 2010, they argue, regardless of whether he lied under oath when he admitted to tossing a hand grenade that killed the soldier eight years earlier.

    U.S. Plaintiffs Fire Back At Omar Khadr Defence Over Damages-Award Enforcement

    Low Uptake For New Immigration Program In Nova Scotia, Numbers Reveal

    Lena Diab says she remains optimistic the program will be a "wonderful tool" — it's aimed at attracting and retaining skilled immigrants for the workforce, as a way of supporting population growth and addressing labour shortages.

    Low Uptake For New Immigration Program In Nova Scotia, Numbers Reveal

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference
    The mother of a University of Calgary student convicted of sexual interference says the school has asked him to stay away from campus as an online petition demanding that he be expelled grows.

    Pressure Grows To Expel Calgary University Student Guilty Of Sexual Interference

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns
    City Of Calgary Has Cancelled A NudistSwim At A Public Pool Over Security Concerns

    City Of Calgary Cancels Nudist Swim At Public Pool Due To Security Concerns

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution
      Court documents say residents of the building in Burnaby, B.C., started raising concerns in August 2015 about visitors and disturbances at a unit owned by Christopher Nino Diopita.

    Neighbours Take Burnaby Condo Owner To Court Over Allegations Of Prostitution

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle
    Victoria police are issuing a public warning after a woman was pricked by a syringe, the second person to be injured by a hypodermic needle in the past few days.

    Victoria Police Warn About Syringes After Second Person Pricked By Uncapped Needle