Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Penalty For Cancelling Saudi Arms Contract 'In The Billions': Justin Trudeau

The Canadian Press, 25 Oct, 2018 12:09 PM
    OTTAWA — Justin Trudeau says the penalty for cancelling Canada's arms deal with Saudi Arabia could be "in the billions of dollars."
     
     
    The exact price tag has been in question since the prime minister first mentioned penalties of as much as $1 billion earlier this week.
     
     
    Trudeau says he can't be precise because the contract — signed by the previous Conservative government of Stephen Harper — includes a requirement of "total confidentiality."
     
     
    The Trudeau government has been under pressure to cancel the contract since the brutal murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi in the Saudi consulate in Istanbul on Oct. 2.
     
     
    Trudeau says his government is actively reviewing export permits to Saudi Arabia, which it has suspended temporarily in the past.
     
    While suspending export permits falls short of outright cancellation of the contract, Trudeau says it would provide a lever for Canada to increase pressure on the desert kingdom to come clean on what happened to Khashoggi.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    B.C. Lottery Corp. Boosts Policies For High Rollers At Casinos

    B.C. Lottery Corp. Boosts Policies For High Rollers At Casinos
    New Rules Are Being Brought In For Big-spending Gamblers At British Columbia's Casinos

    B.C. Lottery Corp. Boosts Policies For High Rollers At Casinos

    Silence Is Deafening In Our Community: Tailored Response For South Asians Addicted To Opioids

    Silence Is Deafening In Our Community: Tailored Response For South Asians Addicted To Opioids
    A medical clinic in British Columbia and a social service agency in Alberta are set to expand their programs to meet the often-hidden and growing problem of South Asians battling addiction to opioids.

    Silence Is Deafening In Our Community: Tailored Response For South Asians Addicted To Opioids

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road
    They say a security guard found a 29-year-old man and two women, ages 21 and 22, in a two-door car on a semi-remote access road near the hamlet of Conklin over the noon hour on Tuesday.

    Man, Two Women, Found Dead In Car On Northern Alberta Access Road

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study
    MISSISSAUGA, Ont. — A new study suggests the practice of placing police officers in certain southern Ontario high schools made students feel safer while building good relationships with law enforcement.

    Students Feel Safer With Police Presence In Certain Ontario High Schools: Study

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating
    WINNIPEG — A second teenage girl charged in the fatal beating of a young woman from an eastern Manitoba Indigenous community has pleaded guilty to manslaughter.

    Assault Was Videoed: Teen Pleads Guilty In Manitoba Woman's Fatal Beating

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died
    A Newfoundland woman who was suffering from an advanced form of cancer when she won a $1.5-million lottery jackpot in November has died.

    Newfoundland Woman Who Won $1.5M Lottery Jackpot While Fighting Cancer Has Died