Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 08 Aug, 2023 12:32 PM
  • Pilot program seeks to reward companies that better protect temporary foreign workers

Ottawa introduced a new three-year pilot program Tuesday that would incentivize employers to follow worker-protection rules by making it easier for them to hire temporary foreign workers. 

Under the "recognized employer pilot" program, companies with a good track record would only need to prove that they require temporary foreign workers every three years, instead of every 18 months. 

The employer's trusted status would also be flagged to potential workers in the government's job bank.

The new pilot will focus on "the protections and support that improve workplace conditions for temporary foreign workers," Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault said at a press conference in the Southwestern Ontario town of Ruthven on Tuesday. 

The temporary foreign worker program is designed to attract workers from abroad to fill short-term labour market gaps in cases where no Canadians or permanent residents are available. 

Employers involved in the pilot program will need to go through a more rigorous upfront assessment, Boissonnault said. 

Agricultural companies will be able to apply to be part of the pilot in September, and all other employers will be eligible in January. 

The pilot will simplify the hiring process by lifting the administrative burden of having to resubmit their paperwork every 18 months, said Jennifer Wright, executive director of the Canadian Agricultural Human Resource Council.

"The government of Canada is addressing an important impediment to addressing labour shortages that have harmed the competitiveness of Canada's agriculture sector," she said in a statement Tuesday. 

The government set aside $29.3 million over three years for the program in its 2022 federal budget, referring to it at the time as the "trusted employer model."

Allegations of abuse have plagued the temporary foreign worker program for years.

Boissonnault said language barriers, social and physical isolation and a lack of awareness about their rights all make workers more vulnerable to abuse, and the government has attempted to curb the problems with more oversight.

Between April 2022 and March 2023, more than 2,100 inspections revealed 117 employers were found to be "out of compliance." Of those, 94 employers were fined a total of $1.5 million, 23 received warnings and six were banned from the program for five years. 

"The system is working, keeping workers safe," Boissonnault said. 

He said his office has launched a tip line for workers and advocates who witness wrongdoing, which is accessible in 200 languages.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. general workers reach tentative contract

B.C. general workers reach tentative contract
The B.C. General Employees Union says in a statement the proposed deal with B.C.'s Public Service Agency was reached after almost two weeks of limited job action and more than seven months of negotiations. The union suspended its job action last week as its bargaining committee returned to negotiations in what it said was "a sign of good faith."  

B.C. general workers reach tentative contract

Bank of Canada increases interest rate to 3.25%

Bank of Canada increases interest rate to 3.25%
The rate hike was in line with what many economists were expecting and brings the bank’s key rate target to 3.25 per cent. In the rate announcement, the Bank of Canada says global inflation remains high because of global supply chain disruptions, the effects of COVID-19 and the war in Ukraine.

Bank of Canada increases interest rate to 3.25%

Saskatchewan stabbing suspect has lengthy record, attack left 10 people dead and 18 injured

Saskatchewan stabbing suspect has lengthy record, attack left 10 people dead and 18 injured
RCMP have not said what motivated the attacks on Sunday that left 10 people dead and 18 injured on the James Smith Cree Nation and nearby village of Weldon, northeast of Saskatoon. Police believe some victims were targeted but others were chosen at random.

Saskatchewan stabbing suspect has lengthy record, attack left 10 people dead and 18 injured

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing
VPD officers were called to the Hornby Street SRO around 8 a.m. yesterday, after the 25-year-old victim walked inside with multiple stab wounds. While some officers tended to the victim’s injuries, others set out to locate the suspects, who had fled the crime scene.

Teen couple faces charges in Labour Day stabbing

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign
Provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry says the immunization campaign will also include more opportunities to get the flu vaccine as respiratory illnesses are expected to return after a decline due to COVID restrictions. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization recommends people receive their second booster dose at least six months or longer after their first booster.

B.C. to launch fall COVID-19 booster campaign

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger
On Tuesday, September 6, at 6:30 a.m., Coquitlam RCMP frontline officers were first to respond to a report of a single vehicle collision in the 200-block of North Road, near the Coquitlam-Burnaby border. The vehicle involved left the roadway and flipped. It does not appear any other vehicles were involved.

Burnaby morning crash claims life of 75 year old female passenger